Tesco Finest Chateauneuf du Pape

Tesco Finest Chateauneuf du Pape

Region: France - Vin de Table

Review of "Tesco Finest Chateauneuf du Pape"

published 06/01/2007 | laramax
Member since : 11/10/2006
Back again after a lengthy absence - with a new puppy in the house I can only visit here every now and then!
Pro Delicious full bodied wine
Cons Quite expensive

"A great full-bodied red wine"

I love a glass of red wine and I love a tasty full bodied red. One of my favourites is Chateauneuf du Pape so when I spotted it on offer in Tesco at £5.99 a bottle just a few weeks before Christmas I resolved to treat myself to a couple of bottles to enjoy over the festive period especially as there was an additional 25% off if I bought six bottles of wine in total.

If you buy French wines you have probably already heard of the Appellation Controlee system. This is a guarantee that a wine was produced in a specific location by a particular method with approved grape varieties and in controlled quantities. Quality is not guaranteed, but wines designated with the AC are usually of higher quality than those that are not.

Châteauneuf du Pape is the lead appellation of the Southern Rhône, and is named after the papal palace that was once situated in the centre of the town. This was a summer home for the Pope, who in the 14th century was based in nearby Avignon. The palace survived until the 1940's, when it was destroyed in the Second World War. The imposing ruins exist to this day, standing tall over the rest of the town. Châteauneuf du Pape is also famous for being the home of Baron Le Roy, owner of Château Fortia, and founder of the appellation contrôlée system which defines much of the vineyard areas in France. The red wine itself may be a blend of up to thirteen different grape varieties, although in practice many of the top wines use only three or four. Most Châteauneuf du Pape is red, and it is renowned as a fine and affordable wine.

Tesco Finest Chateauneuf du Pape is the cheapest version of wine from this region that they sell. The other versions retail from £11.99 upwards which to my pocket is rather too steep except for a VERY special occasion. So I was happy to try out their Finest version at a bargain price which, with the extra 25% discount, actually cost me about £4.50!

This wine is graded as a D by Tesco and described as 'robust and rich'. It certainly lived up to its description and I loved it. If you are not overfond of red wine or don't like your reds to be particularly full bodied and robust then this is not for you but if you like rich reds this is well worth a try. The wine was well flavoured with an oaky overtone and was just lightly peppery in taste. It was smooth with no unpleasant aftertaste which you can get with some cheaper wines. Although this wine is ideal with beef and other red meats I can actually drink it anytime as I do love the taste. It had a wonderful fruity aroma which tempted my palate and it is certainly a wine I would buy again.

This wine comes with a traditional natural cork as opposed to the synthetic corks which are now becoming more common and the alcohol content is 14% by volume (about average for a red wine). A 125ml glass of this amounts to 1.8 units of alcohol so if you are following the latest health guidelines women shouldn't drink more than about 7 glasses a week, men can have about 11.

If you enjoy a full bodied flavoursome red wine this one is well worth considering.

• Chuchy published 13/01/2007
    I enjoy drinking the occasional glass of red wine too. However, I always just buy the cheapest as I wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference, anyway - unless it's really bad - then I make a mental note not to buy it again.
  • Paul99ine published 07/01/2007
    I bought this online as it's usually a good plonk. Pauline.
  • jackyann53 published 07/01/2007
    Very good review as always Joan. I do like red wine but prefer the South African ones as a general rule. Jacky x