Tesco Insurance

Tesco Insurance

Review of "Tesco Insurance"

published 28/07/2005 | bgy8elp
Member since : 28/07/2005
Pro Cheap initial quote
Cons Worst customer service ever encountered

"Please Avoid Tesco Inurance!"

My car was hit by another driver whist I was parked and sitting in it. My one and only accident in 9 years of driving. Damage - £500 approx. The other driver gave no details and just drover off. Luckily I got the reg, 4 witness statements, and even British Transport Police CCTV footage and a Police Sergeant's statement, all proving I was not liable. After a month of sending copious evidence to Tesco, they said it had all been lost in the post. On the fourth attempt I had to send by recorded delivery.

Meanwhile, I had to sort it all myself, dealing with the other insurance company until they finally admitted liability. Tesco took the garage deatils and quote for my car, but sat on it for two weeks, so when I had to return my courtesy car after 14 days, Tesco said 'We can't find your car - where did you take it again?'. They had been calling the wrong garage.

After 7 promises that they will write to me confirming the accident was not my fault as the other party admitted liability, and therefore my no claims would be protected, still waiting. Now 3 months later, and Tesco is still saying 'the matter is not settled' whilst doing nothing to settle it, so that I cannot leave them without losing my remaining 8 months policy cost that I had to pay upfront.

Average time to get through to claims dept - 15 mins. Then they tell you to call a 0870 premium rate no. at peak time to speak to "the only person who can deal with this". They have never called me back when they have said they would. And there are so many departments (Liverpool, Doncaster, Leeds, ...) which pass your papers back and forth, no one is every in a position to help you.

I would have been better off not involving Tesco in this at all, as I have had to do all the legal work, garage arrangements, collection of evidence, courtesy car hire, solicitor consultations, instigation of court proceedings, tel. calls and letters (2 and a half ring binders) myself. Tesco say they'll fight your corner every step of the way - they never lifted a finger to help settle my case, which was small scale, straight forward, involved no personal injuries, and had more supporting and undisputable evidence than any other that my solicitor had come across.

Also, many people (including my boyfriend) find that after a year with Tesco with no claims, they come to renew and Tesco refuse to apply the 30% 1 yr no claims discount that they promised in all their paperwork. No reason given. It is becoming transparent that Tesco offer a cheap quote to get new customers, and then offer a dreadful service and refuse to apply discounts.

From now on I will be choosing my motor insurance company according to the reviews of their customer services, and not simply by the cheapest quote.

To summarise, my involvement with Tesco has been nothing but tears, sleepless nights, high blood pressure and sky-high phone bills. May Tesco rot in hell.

• majidali published 26/08/2007
    sort of the same happened to me thanks for writing
  • moo-cow published 26/10/2005
    Sorry to hear about this nasty episode, but thanks for sharing it with us. I've been ringing around today and Tesco have given me the second cheapest quote out of the 20-odd that I've called. Still, this review has made me think harder.
  • AnitaM published 25/08/2005
    Sounds like a dreadful experience.

Product Information : Tesco Insurance