carolines... 5

carolinesite

Member since:11.07.2000

My Pussy is Well Protected

28.04.2001

Advantages:
Cushions the blow of huge vet bills in an emergency or when you least expect it

Disadvantages:
None

17 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. chantelly
  2. sandemp
  3. purplelynne

When we bring a pet into our homes, we undertake a responsibility to that animal. To love and to cherish, in sickness and in health. OK, so we are not marrying our pet, but we undertake the responsibility to care for that animal until the day it passes away. To care for it, groom it, play with it, feed it, and of course to comfort it in sickness and to see that it is given treatment if needed.

In the early eighties, I used to own a beautiful cat. He was a silvery-grey long haired cat. We lived at the time near some fields, and one day he came home with half of his back leg missing. He had caught it in a rabbit trap. I rushed him to our local vets and was told that the remainder of his leg would have to be amputated. It would cost over £100.
Money was tight at the time and I had these terrible thoughts running through my head that I would have to have him put to sleep because it would be cheaper than the operation. The vet suggested that I could get aid from the PDSA (People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals), which is a charitable organisation. They did help me, and my cat went on to live another 10 years, the loss of his back leg not hampering him in any way. To this day, I always give old clothing and unwanted items to the PDSA shop. If I had had insurance, I would have had peace of mind.

Last year we adopted 2 cats from an animal sanctuary, and I immediately suggested insurance. We were deciding between Pet Plan and Tesco Pet Insurance. We eventually decided on Tesco Pet Insurance because it was 40% cheaper, and also the excess was lower than that of Pet Plan’s.

COST
For each cat we pay £4 per month by direct debit. In some areas it is slightly cheaper and pedigrees are slightly dearer.
Dogs cost from £5.68 to £8.81 per month, depending on area and type of breed.

COVER
Veterinary fees for treatment of injury, illness and disease for up to 12 months of onset: up to £2,500 for each condition.
Holiday cancellation/curtailment to protect you from having to cancel your holiday because of the illness of your pet: up to £1,000.
Boarding costs for your pet should the owner be hospitalised: up to £500.
Payment towards advertising and reward should your pet get lost or be stolen: up to £500.
If your pet is not recovered, you will be reimbursed the purchase price.
Also, if your pet dies due to injury or accident you will be reimbursed the purchase price.
Dog owners also get third party cover should your dog cause injury to third parties or causes damage to their property.

EXTRA
For an extra £12 a year, you can insure your pet for trips abroad as part of the Governments Pet Travel Scheme.

They offer a 24 hour emergency helpline in case you cannot contact your own vet in an emergency.
Other excellent features of this insurance is the Pet Bereavement Counselling Service, in case you need professional support and advice after the death of your pet.
Legal advice is also available from professionals on any personal problem relating to your pet.

There are certain things that are obviously not covered in the insurance and those are:
routine vaccinations, worm and flea treatment, dietary food, dental care, cremation of the animal, pregnancy, neutering and spaying, and nail clipping.
Remember - these things are your responsibility when you brought the animal into your home. Pet insurance is for the unexpected and emergency’s, it is not designed as a HP system for routine treatment of your animal.

Pets are accepted from 8 weeks old to 8 years old, pedigree or cross-breeds.

There are a number of ways that you can sign up with Tesco Pet Insurance. We personally rang their hotline number and everything was taken care of over the phone in a matter of minutes.
TEL: 0845 300 22 00 (8am - 8pm Monday to Friday & 9am - 5pm Saturday).
Or visit their website, they have other insurance services too, including home and motor insurance.
www.tesco.com/finance

OUR EXPERIENCE
Recently, Sam, our youngest cat, was looking very ill. He wasn’t himself. He just lay in his basket all night and day. We took him to the vet where we were told he had a gastric infection. He was given 2 injections, had a blood and urine test done and was given a supply of anti-biotics. This totalled £75. Now that’s the unexpected.
We brought him home (he could have stayed at the vets overnight) and rang Tesco Pet Insurance. They asked the nature of the claim and then said that they would send a claim form out straight away. 2 days later the form arrived. The first part we had to fill in, and the second part is for the vet. We were given the choice of either paying the vet the excess fee of £35 and then the vet would claim the remainder, or we could pay the whole amount and claim the total back from the insurance.

This really is the best thing to do when deciding to adopt a pet. Getting a good insurance policy. We are very happy with our monthly premium and with the service that Tesco have given us.
It’s a shame to see someone with a sickly animal to be told they cannot afford to take it to the vet. £4 a month, that’s £1 a week or approx. 14p a day. Isn’t your pet worth it?

purplelynne 26.03.2004 18:20

thanks for a great op, I picked up a leaflet the other day from Tesco's, I think I will fill it in today. Cheers, Lynne.

teacherofhooch 30.10.2003 12:36

Great opinion and I agree Tesco's have always given me a good service and the price is good, but... I wish I had taken out the pet plan. My German Shepherd became extremely ill and is now on medication for life! The one year insurance for this ailment (apparently common in German Sheperds) ended 6 months ago and now I pay £65. per month to keep her alive. (In child terms that's the family allowance) She will probably live another 5/6 years thats an enormous amount of money. I do think paying the extra is worth it. So I would advise people to think carefully about the insurance and think long term. Teacherofhooch

natfox 08.06.2002 22:31

A very informative opinion. Thanks!