Review of "Tesco Remanufactered Ink Cartridges"

published 15/09/2006 | little_red_hen
Member since : 21/10/2005
Sorry I'm taking so long to get back everyone, please don't forget me, my brain is only fit for facebook at the moment! ie. not firing on all cylinders! Will try to do better this year, Hope you are all keeping well, Karen x
Pro Easily obtainable, good value, recyclable.
Cons Really just the idea of it not being a genuine new original!
Picture quality
Printing speed
Colour sensitivity
Reliability

"THINK INK!"

Recommended but NOT RECOMMENDED!

Recommended but NOT RECOMMENDED!

MY HISTORY WITH INK CARTRIDGES:

From the time I bought my first printer, I have really had nothing but problems when it has come to keeping them supplied with ink! The brand named cartridges generally contain less ink for your money and so they need either need replacing more frequently, or you pay considerably more.

My first printer, an Epson, was bought along with bottles of refill ink and a syringe to inject each colour into the colour cartridge, and a bottle of black for the other one. The salesman in PC World assured me it was easy… well it was the first time, apart from the mess! then the second time I just flooded the printer, and I had to buy new cartridges.

My second printer a Lexmark, had the same thing happen and I eventually scrapped it! Now I have a HP PSE 1317 inkjet 3 in 1, and I love it, but the ink cartridges seem very expensive. I do seem to go through a lot of ink when my sons and daughter have used my pc and printer to run off pictures for T Shirts etc. when I am not looking!

I have tried several times to order remanufactured cartridges online from a variety of sites, such as 'Choice Stationary' and 'Printers Ink', and have had to return more cartridges than I have kept, causing me to get very frustrated - I have had cartridges that have only had one or two colours instead of three, I have had cartridges that the printer cannot even find! The last time I ordered ink, I ordered a colour one and when it didn't work properly I was given instructions over the phone to clean the cartridge! This failed to help so I was sent a replacement that was even worse, I was then instructed to rub an eraser over the connections. This too failed to help so I asked and got a refund!

I WENT TO TESCO!

Being out of ink, and having sent the replacements back, I needed ink badly; I couldn't print off any of my holiday snaps to bore colleagues with at work! A speedy trip to Tesco followed, just to see what they sold and I was amazed! New ink cartridges in many well known brands, and their own remanufactured cartridges lined a back wall.

CHOOSING YOUR INK:

Tesco provide a laminated flip paged book showing many makes and models of printers they can supply ink for. There is a colour coded indexed list of the four most popular names:

HP - Yellow
LEXMARK - Green
EPSON - Blue
CANON - Red

There is also a smaller section for other makes including 'Brother' 'Samsung' 'Dell' and 'Kodak'

You look for the pages for your printer, find the page covering the model number, and see the pictures of compatible cartridges. On the wall the cartridges are displayed in colour coded sections so the cartridge you want is easy to find.

My cartridges were compatable with HP, and were therefore on a yellow card. Although they have a very detailed list of available cartridges, they did have one or
two missing from the display, possibly less popular varieties.

PRICES FOR MY INK:

Tesco Remanufactured Black In Cartridge H90 - £11.98 containing approx 19mls
Tesco Remanufactured Colour Ink Cartridge H50 - £12.77 containing approx 11mls

Compared to compatible HP Cartridges:

HP 27 Original Black Cartridge - £12.97 containing approx 10mls
HP 56 Original Black Cartridge - £14.97 containing approx 19mls
HP 28 Original Colour Cartridge - £14.98 containing approx 8mls
HP 57 Original Colour Cartridge - £21.96 containing approx 10mls

In my packs, the cartridges were fitted into a plastic clip 'bracket' for protection during transport. There was also an envelope to return unwanted cartridges for recycling, which must be good for the environment? One of my envelopes had a draw on it to win a car, (if I win I will review it on Ciao and give Richada a run for his money lol!) or you could choose to donate to a charity and get tesco club points.

To read more about the recycling and the prize draw see:

The ink cartridges took only a few moments to clip into place, and I suffered no mess.

MY OPINION:

Although I chose a colour cartridge H50 and a black H90, The packs did not specify the quantity of ink inside the cartridge. However there was a helpline No. 0800 8494 658, which I rang to enquire the ink content, and to suggest that they consider putting this information on the packaging as done by HP! The two women I spoke to (yes, I rang twice!) were very helpful, and I got straight through to them immediately, they said that the cartridges generally contain more ink than the brand names, and that they would put my suggestion forward.

My ink is giving me excellent colour and black print outs, and has been being used for a couple of months now. I am most satisfied that Tesco have provided me with a good quality alternative choice to the brand named inks.

If I should ever have a problem, I am confident that Tesco would give me the appropriate customer service, with a store a few minutes away from where I live it is very convenient.

I am also glad if it helps the environment in some small way.

Karen

• JasonJRogers published 13/05/2010
    It may be cheaper, but im not a lover of refills, great read!
  • bermudaviper published 01/04/2010
    Massive cost differences there. Sounds like a good option.
  • carysb published 27/04/2007
    We get these for our HP. But we think the last one we bought broke our printer:S We have changed the cartirdge 3 times since and still piece which does the printing isnt getting the ink onto the paper - therefore no printing is actually happening. - Nightmare! Agree that the envelope to send back old cartridges is an excellent service . C.