Tesco (Shop)

Tesco (Shop)

Review of "Tesco (Shop)"

published 19/12/2003 | FrenchCancan
Member since : 28/10/2003
Apologies for being a ghost... very busy at the moment both home and work.. Review on shopping habit in the pipeline..
Pro Open 24h 6/7, almost all under 1 roof
Cons parking, access, shelves understocked
Price
Layout & presentation
Selection & range
Availability

"Tesco Castle Lane in Bournemouth"

I have used my local Tesco for over 7 years now. It used to be a 'normal' Tesco and was redesigned and transformed into a gigantic 'hypermarket-like' shop.

~Getting There~

Well, it all start with accessing the shop ! My Tesco is situated on Castle Lane in Bournemouth, it is one of the busiest town thoroughfare in Britain and currently undergoing some work which cause even more Chaos. Once a 10 mins drive, it can now takes anything between 20 to 40 mins to get to the shop.
Once you are there, the parking has been ridiculously designed so that 90% of the cars will go to 10% of the parking lot.

~The Shopping Experience~

First of all, this Tesco is open from 24h Monday to Saturday. And from 10am to 4pm on Sunday.
This Tesco now sells electricals - TV, DVD, computers, telephones, kitchen light electricals - toys, music, magazines, kitchenware, houseware, clothes, stationary, flowers, plants, prams. All that on the top of the usual suspect you would find in any supermarket. My Tesco has also a meat, fish, cheese and delicatessen counter. The range of products it now offers are very good even in the 'Tesco' brand with the arrival of the Tesco Finest - sometimes a lot of rubbish, sometimes worthwhile !!

As per every supermarket in Britain, I believe, - and no, I have not visited all of them !! - you have only 1 entrance and that entrance will get you to the flower stand. If, like me, you follow the 'normal' route, you will have to pass by the stationary, music, kitchenware, houseware and 'season' shelves where Tescos put up season goods such as Haloween paraphenalia for Haloween !! Only then you enter the traditional supermarket itself, in the meantime you might have already filled your trolley with goods you never intended to buy at the first place !!
The space you are given to drive your trolley is adequate even between the aisles.
Although one can whinge about the seemingly illogical arrangement of the shop, it is the same everywhere and has been conceived by 'thinking heads' agree or not !
Lately I have seen the emergence of Kosher and a large organic food display.
Once yours shopping done, I have never spent more than 10mins at a checkout.
Finally, you always seem to be able to find a willing individual to help you when you need them. They will even run to the customer services for you.

~Bad Points~
Well, apart from the above mentionned access and parking, Tesco Bournemouth has yet to implement a trolley system by which customer will have to 'pay' £1 to pick up a trolley and will get their money back once they drop it off their the others. What then happens it that trolleys are basically left to their own device and sometime think themselve bumper cars !! To top it all up, Tesco do not deem itself responsible if a trolley hits you car whilst you are parked/parking !!

The shelves could sometime be better stocked up. There has been many occurences lately of a sold out product which is unnerving when you need that special product to cook.
At other times, it is simply impossible to find some products. Even at the height of the season. My Tesco seems allergic to Aubergines !! Why ??

Being situated in Bournemouth you would have thought that the fish counter would be something to marvel about. Think again !! The fish there looks seldomly very fresh - I am not saying rotten ! But merely frozen ! - and the choice is appaling.

Finally, the day this shop will stop moving some of its product around so that you do not have to run the lenght and breath of the shop to find mustard, the better !

~So then what ? ~

I can say that I scour the land around me to find the best bargains for my weekly shopping but do find sometimes that what I buy in Tesco in good value for money and good quality. And with its Tesco Clubcard loyalty scheme - which actually send you vouchers for item you would buy !! - it makes the shopping experience that little less painful.

Give us another access, sort out the trolley problems and stocked up the shelves that little bit better and you will have an excellent shop !!

• belinda9 published 29/12/2003
    Even though the nearest Tesco is about 8 miles away, they do deliver. i got a delivery yesterday and as usual there were things out of stock. I don't know why I use them as theres always something missing from the order. I do prefer Asda or Morrisons, but they don't deliver round here, as I find Tescos quite expensive really.
  • sstainer1604 published 22/12/2003
    not been to that one yet but mother in law works there so will pop over one day but i like tesco alot and tend to shop there late at night easier etc good op simon
  • BUBBLES171 published 21/12/2003
    I love tescos but was not impressed with the rubbish left in our store last week as i slipped on some, karen :0)

Product Information : Tesco (Shop)

Listed on Ciao since: 17/07/2000