katherine... 4

katherineh123

Member since:12.03.2007

A sweet and sticky combination

21.03.2010

Advantages:
fresh, tasty

Disadvantages:
not enough white chocolate

16 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. TheHairyGodmother
  2. lora44
  3. kingfisher111
  1. clocktower
  2. sewbizzie
  3. Collingwood21

I never can resist the bakery section when doing my weekly shop in tesco, it just smells so appealing! I frequently purchase their fresh doughnuts or cookies, but this week, my eye was caught by these White chocolate and strawberry muffins.

I have quite a sweet tooth and white chocolate is my favourite kind, the combination with strawberry also seemed interesting to me (I usually see it combined with raspberry in these type of products). Priced at £1.59 for four muffins, it's not the cheapest option, and many cheaper cakes were available, but I hoped that they would prove worthy of the price tag.

They com in plastic wrap for freshness and a plastic tray to maintain their positioning. Upon opening the wrapping, I noticed a lovely freshly baked sweet aroma coming from the packet, divine. The cakes themselves also felt really soft and fresh to the touch. On pulling the cake apart, the sponge texture was moist and soft and the strawberry jam was dripping from the middle. The cakes tasted really great too, very sweet and yet surprisingly light. The strawberry filling was sticky and very fruity. However, my one disappointment would be that this flavour did overpower any white chocolate flavouring the cake may have had. Indeed, I only really found one or two chunks of white chocolate in each cake. Where I could taste the white chocolate and strawberry flavours together, they seemed a complimentary combination. There definitely needs to be more white chocolate contained though.

Each cake is also topped with sugar crystals which not only add to the sweetness but offer a slightly different, crunchy texture. The cakes also kept their freshness for a good two or three days after purchase, after this time they went a little harder, although still perfectly edible.

These cakes are great if like me you have a sweet tooth, for others they may be a little on the sickly side. I will be purchasing them again (now and then!).

« Previous review

lora44 31.07.2010 23:11

Oh god, I LOVE the idea of these muffins...will keep my eye out for them and hope they live up to my expectations because they sound lush! Great review x

jesi 24.03.2010 23:07