Tesco Value Chicken Curry

Tesco Value Chicken Curry

Review of "Tesco Value Chicken Curry"

published 09/06/2013 | lynnmc1
Member since : 11/09/2012
New to Ciao + Dooyoo, username lynnmc on dooyoo is me too!
Pro Does not contain nuts.....nor does a banana, which I would have enjoyed more
Cons None
Taste
Smell
Product Quality
Packaging

"Value? Chicken? Curry?"

My husband is far from a culinary genius and as I occasionally work late I am always on the lookout for something quick and easy for him to make himself.
I have bought a few different cans of chicken curry as he can just about manage to boil some rice and microwave this. Some were extremely impressive but a little pricey so I recently bought a couple of cans of the Tesco everyday value chicken curry.
I think I would be kicked off the site for using the words he used when I came home from work one night, so I will tone it down. It went something like "What was that thing in the tin you got me?".
Thinking he had been used to the more expensive brands and was probably completely exaggerating, I decided to throw on the other can for myself.

You can either cook this on the hob for 3-4 minutes or in the microwave for around the same time depending on your wattage. I put mine in the microwave.
The smell was pretty good, a strong curry smell as you would expect. Halfway through cooking I stirred it and found it to be a bit thin but thought it would thicken up in the last minute and a half. Unfortunately it didn't. It did smell good, but didn't look appetising with a brownish colour and large cubed chunks of carrot and potato.
It didn't taste any better, I would have liked it thicker, the sauce tasted like a really bad curry powder with lots of water and I did not see one piece of the 15% marinated chicken breast. Not one.
The only things I could taste were the large amounts of carrot, potato and sultanas. I didn't want a carrot and potato curry, so some chicken would have been nice.
I couldn't finish this nor did my husband and he really is a dustbin for food.

If you can stomach half a can, this will contain 125 calories. It is also nut free.
It should be stored in a cool dry place and once opened, stored in the fridge for up to 2 days but I doubt anybody would want to keep any of it.
The can also states that the (non-existent) meat complies with strict welfare and quality standards.
It also has a label on the can which says it is an improved recipe. HA!

A can of this is only 53p, making it a lot cheaper than most tinned chicken curry which is around the £1.49 mark but I would never buy it again. Paying the extra, your can get a lovely curry full of chicken which feels like a decent meal. This was very poor.

• mumsymary published 09/06/2013
    As the other Mary says :- )
  • marymoose99 published 09/06/2013
    Sounds awful...I've never had tinned curry. I always make extra when I cook curry, and then freeze portions.