Review of "Tesco Value Food Bags"

published 22/07/2011 | dkm1981
Member since : 17/02/2009
A very active twelve month old means less reviews from mum, but so many toys to review!
Pro Cheap, strong
Cons Not airtight

"Bargain Bags"

Freezer bags are something that I use a lot of, but don't like to spend a lot of money on so when I found these bags from the Tesco Value range, I was pretty pleased since they are only 50p for fifty bags. At that price, they are much cheaper than all of the other alternatives, but the question is are they as good? Well, for the most part, they are.

Like I said, there are fifty bags in a pack and they are a fairly decent size (25cm by 30cm ish), plenty big enough for everything that I use a freezer bag for. They easily fit a sandwich in. I actually use them a lot as extra protection when I have fruit in a plastic container, to stop juice getting everywhere and have so far found that all of my medium sized plastic containers fit into them comfortably.

The bags are open ended, but you get a wire tie for each one, which means they are resealable, but not in the sense that the bags themselves have a seal on them. The wire ties work quite well and are easy to loosen and tighten. I don't think they make the bag airtight though, so I don't think I'd use them for keeping dry things in that you want to stay crispy. Having said that, I haven't actually used them for this purpose, so I can't say for certain.

They are, as you would expect completely transparent, so it easy to see what you have put in them when they are in the freezer. I have seen bags that have little panels on them for writing on what is inside, but you don't get that with these Value ones though it isn't a problem because there is no need for it.

They are pretty strong as well, which is arguably the most important thing - I've never yet torn one. I haven't particularly tried very hard to tear one, but at that price you might imagine them to be quite flimsy. They aren't at all, in fact they are very robust and they would easily withstand being a sandwich bag for lunch, for example.

Overall I would definitely recommend the Tesco Value freezer bags as they are strong, a good size and exceptionally good value - for fifty pence, you can't go wrong!

• jonathanb published 10/08/2011
    I use these regularly as well, and unless you really need something bigger or airtight I can't see any point in paying more.
  • christinat published 26/07/2011
    I use these everyday. well reviewed.x
  • catsholiday published 23/07/2011
    I have a roll of these in my drawer - they are really handy.