vialdana 3

vialdana

About me: Trying to read & rate more, but the fibro still gets in the way. I write when I can and read/rate when I am able. This means sometimes I throw lots on all at once, and then go quiet for days or weeks at a time.

Member since:18.06.2002

Cheap and Cheerful Value Food Bags

29.04.2012

Advantages:
cheap, thin, less packaging

Disadvantages:
a bit harder to write on, won't hold up well if you try to wash them out .

17 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. AnneLorraine1
  2. Graygirl
  3. bandcamp

Although I try my best to use reusable plastic containers when I can, there are times when these arenít really suitable, or when my freezer is so full that a bag is the only way to go for fitting something in. At these times, food bags do come in quite handy.

Over the years, Iíve tried different types some thin ones that wonít last more than one use, some thicker that can be re-used after washing, some large, some small. Iíll be honest, although the eco friendly part of me hates throwing stuff away, washing plastic bags is a chore that I really do not have the time, energy or letís face it the inclination for 99% of the time!

For this reason, these days I tend to opt for cheaper thinner bags that do the job, but then go in the bin afterwards. We donít get through too many because as I say I try to use plastic food containers for most things, but when you have a single chicken breast it wouldnít half fill even a small takeaway style container, and some things like pastry Iíve made but donít want to use/cook yet keeps best with the air away from it so a bag is a far better storage container for these items.

These Tesco value food bags come on a roll with a white label around them to show what they are, so itís a good start in terms of packaging Ė no box! The roll has 50 bags each of which is approximately 25x30cm. Not massive perhaps, but big enough for the sort of things I use them for certainly. Being made in Thailand these have travelled more airmiles than Iíd ideally like, but they are about as thin as itís possible to get a bag to be and still have it hold together I think, so a lot less materials gone into making them than many other bags I could be buying.

Being a very thin plastic, itís very easy to see what the item inside the bag is, however as I find that say a single pork loin steak can look very similar to a few slices of bacon when frozen, I do tend to label everything. These do not have any special area on them to write on, and being very thin I find it best to write on the bag before I put the contents into it rather than afterwards. A permanent marker pen works just fine on these for this purpose, so I just pop the word Ďch bstí or Ďch thí or Ďch drmí on them along with the date I freeze them.

Overall, Iíd say these are perfectly acceptable single use bags. Theyíre cheap (around 50p for the pack of 50), and theyíre not overly complicated Ė no ziplocks or any other silliness to be wasted. So, whether youíre on a budget or not, and if you want something thatís not too horrendous for the environment bag wise, these arenít too bad.

Add the first comment!