Tesco Value Food Bags

Tesco Value Food Bags

Food Bags

Review of "Tesco Value Food Bags"

published 29/04/2012 | vialdana
Member since : 18/06/2002
Trying to read & rate more, but the fibro still gets in the way. I write when I can and read/rate when I am able. This means sometimes I throw lots on all at once, and then go quiet for days or weeks at a time.
Good
Pro cheap, thin, less packaging
Cons a bit harder to write on, won't hold up well if you try to wash them out.

"Cheap and Cheerful Value Food Bags"

Although I try my best to use reusable plastic containers when I can, there are times when these aren’t really suitable, or when my freezer is so full that a bag is the only way to go for fitting something in. At these times, food bags do come in quite handy.

Over the years, I’ve tried different types some thin ones that won’t last more than one use, some thicker that can be re-used after washing, some large, some small. I’ll be honest, although the eco friendly part of me hates throwing stuff away, washing plastic bags is a chore that I really do not have the time, energy or let’s face it the inclination for 99% of the time!

For this reason, these days I tend to opt for cheaper thinner bags that do the job, but then go in the bin afterwards. We don’t get through too many because as I say I try to use plastic food containers for most things, but when you have a single chicken breast it wouldn’t half fill even a small takeaway style container, and some things like pastry I’ve made but don’t want to use/cook yet keeps best with the air away from it so a bag is a far better storage container for these items.

These Tesco value food bags come on a roll with a white label around them to show what they are, so it’s a good start in terms of packaging – no box! The roll has 50 bags each of which is approximately 25x30cm. Not massive perhaps, but big enough for the sort of things I use them for certainly. Being made in Thailand these have travelled more airmiles than I’d ideally like, but they are about as thin as it’s possible to get a bag to be and still have it hold together I think, so a lot less materials gone into making them than many other bags I could be buying.

Being a very thin plastic, it’s very easy to see what the item inside the bag is, however as I find that say a single pork loin steak can look very similar to a few slices of bacon when frozen, I do tend to label everything. These do not have any special area on them to write on, and being very thin I find it best to write on the bag before I put the contents into it rather than afterwards. A permanent marker pen works just fine on these for this purpose, so I just pop the word ‘ch bst’ or ‘ch th’ or ‘ch drm’ on them along with the date I freeze them.

Overall, I’d say these are perfectly acceptable single use bags. They’re cheap (around 50p for the pack of 50), and they’re not overly complicated – no ziplocks or any other silliness to be wasted. So, whether you’re on a budget or not, and if you want something that’s not too horrendous for the environment bag wise, these aren’t too bad.