pinky50 5

pinky50

About me: Cannot wait for some nice weather to arrive.

Member since:16.11.2010

Mmmmm Lemon.

18.07.2011

Advantages:
Nice for making tarts and use for baking .

Disadvantages:
None .

53 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. angelboouk123
  1. Expired-Account
  2. jesi
  3. Coloneljohn

I quite like Lemon curd, I like the taste of it because I love Lemon flavour. I like Lemon tarts, especially around the Christmas holidays. I think Lemon curd is a food that is either liked or disliked in my opinion and I happen to like it a lot. I have been buying this one for quite some time along side branded ones and shops other own brands.

It comes in a transparent glass jar with a twist of lid, the lid is quite hard to open on the first opening because it is sealed but once opened, it is then easier to open as all sealed jars are for the next opening. The jar just has a basic label on the front in the usual colours of the Value range from Tesco’s. The curd does look nice and appetising inside the jar and it looks a nice colour too. The colour is a bright yellow and not at all dirty looking as you may imagine with a cheaper brand. This one only costs around 22p for a 411g jar, so a very cheap price in my opinion and a give away price in my opinion.

This curd does have a really strong smell to it once the lid is removed, it is very apparent immediately the lid is removed. It does smell really nice for a cheaper brand. It does not have a running consistency inside the jar as I first imagined it would have when I first bought this one. It is solid but not too hard that it cannot be easily taken from the jar. It does however have a nice soft texture to it and it is very easy to scoop from the jar by using a spoon or a knife. Also it does not drip from the spoon or knife and stays on them until it reaches the food etc.

I use this one for making Lemon curds, it tastes really nice with the pastry, it does not have a bland taste and it works really well together with the pastry. It does not taste at all bitter or sour, it is a nice pleasant taste and the texture is nice too with the pastry. I find this one has the right amount of flavour for the price. It is not a sickly taste or one that is too sweet. It is just a really nice pleasant taste.

I absolutely love this one eaten with Greek yoghurt, all that is needed is to use 300g of any brand of the yoghurt and just use a couple of tablespoons of this curd and fold it into the yoghurt, crush 2 ginger biscuits and place them into a small serving dish or a glass and spoon over the yoghurt mixer over the top of the biscuits, any fruit can then be placed over the top of the yoghurt if needed and also a little more of crushed ginger biscuits if you want to add a little extra topping. This recipe makes a really lovely, delicious pudding dish for all the family. This amount can easily serve 4 people. The only problem is this dish is very addictive and it always leaves me wanting more lol. This curd works really well for this dish and the taste is very apparent.

I have used this one also for making a lemon cheesecakes, sponge cakes and I have used it to drizzle over cakes for a dressing. It works well for dressings and can easily just be placed into a non metallic dish and placed into the microwave for a couple of seconds, just to soften it a little to help cover the food to be dressed with the curd.

I really do like this curd for the price, it is extremely good value for the money and a really good quality. I find it is adequate for my dishes and I find the taste extremely pleasant and nice. This one is so affordable too for any budget and if you have a lot of children or grandchildren and you love baking etc, then I would say this one is such a nice one for baking. It gives a good flavour for cakes and any dish it is used to flavour. I have also used this with other ingredients in cakes such as ginger and it has worked really well with other ingredients. I have also used it with raspberries to make tarts.
My little grandson can easily eat lemon tarts that I have made, he can easily chew and swallow them and the lemon is not too strong for him and he has enjoyed the flavour of this brand. It is ideal for using for any baking that you may need to use a lemon curd ingredient.

Each tablespoon contains, 55 calories, 6.2g of sugar, 0.8g of fat and 0.4g of saturates.

The jar is also recyclable.

Once the jar is opened it can be placed in the fridge and must be eaten within 6 weeks, I think this length of time it can be left in the fridge is excellent because curd is not a food such as jam, when it is eaten in the same way. It is one that is usually used for dishes and although my hubby has been known to eat this curd on bread for a snack, it is not one that is readily used in this way so much as jam is used, so the 6 weeks is an excellent length of time to store in the fridge ready for using for baking etc. It also has a very good use by date and the one I am using at the moment has a date until May 2012 and so it can be bought well in advance and stored in a food cupboard for a good length of time.

It is also suitable for vegetarians and the allergy advice it tells me on the label is that it contains egg, and that the recipe cannot guarantee nut free. So this advice is worth knowing if you have any allergies to these ingredients.

I highly do recommend this lemon curd, I think it is a super one with a lot of flavour for the price and it is one I will continue to buy along side other brands because it gives me all the flavour that I expect from a cheaper brand of lemon curd. It is so cheap and if you do not like it, a lot of money has not been wasted but I just think it is not a disappointing product in my opinion.

I give it 5 stars.

Thank you for reading my review and I hope it has been of some help.

jesi 26.07.2011 21:59

I prefer this to more expensive brands as it is animal fat free (no butter) and is not overly sweet . . . it is nice straight from the jar . . . ♥ ~ Jesi ~ ♥

Coloneljohn 24.07.2011 09:48

I've not had any for years, but my wife is having sone right now. John

anonymili 20.07.2011 14:36

Ooh I've not had lemon curd for years, really fancy some now!