Review of "Tesco Value Pine Disinfectant"

published 17/06/2012 | tb240904
Member since : 09/05/2009
Orange!
Pro Cheap, smells fresh, disinfects
Cons Takes a little more to have the same results as the named brands
Do you need to use much for each clean?
Irritable to skin?
Longlasting effects?

"Tesco Everyday Value Pine Disinfectant"

Tesco Everyday Value Pine Disinfectant - new look bottle

Tesco Everyday Value Pine Disinfectant - new look bottle

While I was living alone last year in halls of residence at University, I quickly discovered I had to clean my room myself. I was also sick a lot, partially because of the large quantities of alcohol I was consuming (all down to peer pressure – I lived with some real alcoholics), but also because I was often ill. This meant I needed a decent disinfectant which got rid of all of the germs and bacteria. As a student, I couldn’t afford named brands but I found Tesco Value Pine Disinfectant worked very well and left a lovely smell behind it. (note: Tesco Value has recently undergone a rebranding and is now known as Tesco Everyday Value).

At 31p a bottle, it’s much cheaper than what I was previously buying. I had been buying bottles of Dettol from Instore (now Poundstretcher Extra) at two for £2.50, which are now £2 each. I believe this is quite cheap for Dettol, but as soon as I found I could get a product that works just as well a little cheaper, I did. It does take more of the Tesco Value Disinfectant to clean than it does Dettol, but I still think it represents good value for money.

Do you need to use much for each clean?

I didn’t use that much. I would hold a cloth over the top of the bottle and turn ir over, soaking the cloth in the disinfectant. It took three or four times doing this to clean my entire room (which was tiny, just a sink, a desk, a bed and a wardrobe, plus a fridge which was a later addition). I did not like using this disinfectant for my fridge (which I cleaned thoroughly before and after the Christmas and Easter breaks when I was away for roughly two weeks). I liked the pine scent but it didn’t leave the fridge for weeks after I first cleaned it using the disinfectant so I didn’t use it again.

Smell

This is pine disinfectant and you can really smell the pine. I know a lot of people don’t like the smell of pine but I love it. I think it makes the place smell nice and fresh and reminds me of car fresheners.

Colour

The colour is a deep emerald green. It doesn't stain when left to soak in like some cleaning products and washes away easily.

Irritable to skin?

I didn’t use gloves when using this product (I only use gloves when I’m using bleach) but my hands weren’t irritated by it. I have also used this disinfectant as a handwash, with twelve lids full diluted in a basin full of water. I worked with harsh chemicals on occasion in Biology classes and, although there were adequate facilities for washing my hands before leaving the class, I liked to make sure there was nothing at all on my hands, especially before preparing food. Tesco Value disinfectant is quite mild, even when undiluted.

Longlasting effects?

I cleaned my room thoroughly at least once a week, or if I’d been ill as soon as I’d gotten better. I feel there was no need to use the disinfectant more often than this, as my room looked and smelt clean for the entire time between cleanings.

Would I recommend it to a friend?

This product represents good value for money and cleans well so I would indeed recommend it to a friend.

Availability

This disinfectant is available only at Tesco and is a mere 31p a bottle.

• tune57 published 18/06/2012
    I pour this down our ouside drains, seems to do the job.
  • angelboouk123 published 17/06/2012