Tesco Value Porridge Oats

Tesco Value Porridge Oats

Oats

Review of "Tesco Value Porridge Oats"

published 17/03/2011 | mumsymary
Member since : 23/09/2002
Back home again after a couple of weeks in the Pyrenees
Pro price
Cons none
Taste
Smell
Product Quality
Packaging

"Get oats cheaply, good for sensory play."

Q) Why have I got a pack of Tesco value oats in my food cupboard when I do not really like porridge?

A) It’s because I use them for baking. I use them in flapjacks and add them to fruit crumble mixes.

*Price
These oats cost 75p for a 1 kg bag , Tesco Scottish porridge oats cost 99p per 1 kg bag Quaker oats cost £1.58 for a 1 kg box. There are several other brands of porridge oats available too at a variety of prices.

*Packaging
The oats are in a simple clear plastic bag. This has the standard Tesco value labeling blue and red.
I open my packet with a pair of scissors and decant into a storage jar otherwise I tend to get oats all over my cupboard.

*Allergy advice
May have nuts and sesame seeds due to the factory where it’s packaged using those products. Contains Gluten, Oat & Wheat

*Nutrition
359 k cal per 100 g. 8.5g fibre, 8.1g fat full details on packet. Oats are good as they fill you up and release energy slowly.
  • Smell
    Opening the bag I sniff, it’s a dry smell not unpleasant not outstandingly yummy really words fail me it’s a cereal smell oaty.
  • looks
    Small light brown rough flakes

*Texture
I sometimes use these oats for sensory play with special needs children. The texture is rough and fibrous when not cooked, its softer yet fibrous when cooked.*Use
Oats are use in many dishes as well as for porridge. I have made flapjacks and other biscuits using Tesco value oats. They are ideal for coating fish.
There are many recipe’s at http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/oats
I think these oats work as well as other oats that I have used.

As I mentioned earlier I use these for sensory play with special needs children. Allowing children to play with dry or wet oats allows children to explore the properties through touch. Oats are good as it does not matter if the child eats them. Adding oats to playdough (flour, water, salt home made recipes are on line) makes a god textured playdough to explore.

*Taste
Unlike some of my students I have not tasted uncooked oats. The taste can not be that fantastic as after a few fistfuls of them my students do not eat many, unlike when we use custard or other cereals like rice crispies or cornflakes.

As I said I do not like porridge but I like the oaty flavour that these oats add to biscuits and my crumble it’s a wholesome flavour.

*Recommendation
Yes I would recommend these for baking and sensory pla

• Coloneljohn published 01/04/2011
    My wife is quite keen on porridge in cold weather. John
  • jesi published 22/03/2011
    I bought three packs of these the other week when Tesco had a 'three for price of two' promotion on . . . ♥ jesi ♥
  • splishsplash published 21/03/2011
    Being Scottish I was brought up on porridge with salt in it of course!, nice review.