Tesco Value Stretch 5cm x 4.5m Bandage

Tesco Value Stretch 5cm x 4.5m Bandage

First Aid - Strapping & Taping - Bandage

Review of "Tesco Value Stretch 5cm x 4.5m Bandage"

published 13/03/2012 | sorehead
Member since : 30/04/2011
Good
Pro Does the job
Cons No good for sprains and strains - too flexible
Effectiveness

"Good as a First Aid standby"

We have a couple of the Tesco Value range of support / crepe bandages in our First Aid tin under the stairs in case of emergencies. I have personally only ever used this bandage once before but my other half has used one on herself too in the past.

The bandage, as I say, is Tesco’s own brand and as such is simply and plainly packaged as you would expect. The packaging is plain white with the red and blue Tesco logo and simply states ‘Stretch Bandage’. The price is 30p and I personally think this is pretty good value for money when you consider you can pay up to three times this amount for what is essentially exactly the same thing – only it will have a brand name.

The bandage itself is 5cm x 4.5 metres long – so it is good size. Personally I have used thi on myself after I badly cut my hand whilst using the garden strimmer last year. I washed and cleaned the wound myself and applied a sterile dressing and then used the bandage in order to keep the dressing in place. I have done First Aid so I know what I am doing, however, as it turned out I still had to go to A&E later as I needed stitches as the wound just wouldn’t hold it’s own without the use of a few stitches.

I don’t personally think this bandage is any good for strains or sprains so much as holding a dressing in place, however and I say this as my wife tried to use it for her sprained wrist. The material is breathable but perhaps too much on the flexible side to allow it to be called a good support bandage. It also frayed quite easily at the ends very quickly I noticed and for this reason, although it is cheap, I think the quality perhaps could be a bit better than it is.

Overall, for the price, it’s decent enough and a good standby for a household’s First Aid tin, but certainly not one of the best quality bandages I have ever used.