Tesco garden peas

Tesco garden peas

Review of "Tesco garden peas"

published 22/12/2009 | MEL0611
Member since : 24/09/2009
Mummy to be, bubba due end of March...watch out for Nappy reviews!!!!
Pro Good Price, Last well in the freezer, good for use with many dishes.
Cons Secure the bag or they will spill into the freezer!!!
Taste
Smell
Product Quality
Packaging

"Pea Please... Tesco Garden Peas"

I have found myself recently tending to use a lot more packets of peas whilst cooking meals. Where before I tended to use them when cooking a traditional roast dinner, I have found myself now adding them to a variety of dishes such as cottage pies, curry and Balti dishes as well as a simple accompaniment to meals. I used to buy the Tesco value range of peas and just keep a bag that would last a while in my freezer but on a recent shop I discovered that there were none left so I 'upgraded' to the Tesco Garden Pea bag!

This range of peas is available in 2 different sizes. There is the 1kg bag which will cost you £1.48 or there is the slightly larger bags which will set you back £2.52. I think the size decision is not only down to money but how much room you have in your freezer, as I have limited space I decided to opt for the smaller bag, so in the trolley the peas went and off I went home to see how I got on with them.

The peas are packaged in a plastic bag, the design being really simple. It has the Tesco logo in the top left hand corner in green writing (It was never going to be any other colour really was it!) the name of the product sits in the centre of the bag alongside the nutritional information. Other than this there is a picture of the peas on the front of the bag.

On the reverse of the packaging is storage instructions (you can normally find quite an advanced date on the peas so they are ok to keep in the freezer even if you are using them on rare occasions) There is also the cooking instructions, this can be done via the microwave (from the information the longest amount of time is approximately 5 minutes) but I prefer to add my peas to a dish as I previously stated or cook them on the hob.

On the hob the peas take about 3-4 minutes, the packaging suggests you can add some salt if required but as I have banned salt in the house I add some mixed herbs and rosemary sprigs to go with mine or if my mint plant takes off the n a couple of leaves from that.

Once the peas are cooked I have to say that I was quite impressed with the end result. The peas were not at all 'rubbery' like I have found in the past. They were very round in shape and really tasty. They did have flavour to them and were also soft to eat and digest. I was really impressed with how green the peas were as well, a bright green as opposed to a pale and softer green like other peas that I have tried in the past.

A few pieces of nutritional information are as follows: (Per serving)

Calories ~ 60
Sugar ~ 2.2g
Fat ~ 0.7g
Saturates ~ 0.2g
Salt ~ Trace

In summary, I am really impressed with these peas. If you have not tried them before then I suggest that you give them a go. They keep really well in your freezer and have a good sell by date with them. They are in my opinion a good price and overall they have a good taste to them and make a great accompaniment to many meals.

5 out of 5 from me on this one!!!

Thanks for reading.

• TheHairyGodmother published 03/12/2010
    my fiancee is constantly tipping peas and sweetcorn into the freezer!
  • paulpry118 published 23/12/2009
    I tend to buy these
  • torriglen published 22/12/2009
    nice review, I always use these.