Tetris Worlds (Xbox)

Tetris Worlds (Xbox)

Genre: Puzzle - Publisher: THQ - Developer(s): Blue Planet Software

Review of "Tetris Worlds (Xbox)"

published 15/04/2006 | ladyboymondaytofriday
Member since : 18/03/2006
Pro It's Tetris - better soundtrack than the original - addictive as hell
Cons You lose days of your life
Gameplay/Playability
Graphics
Sound
Difficulty & Complexity

"The best Russian export since vodka!!"

I was one of those kids that sat on the bus playing Tetris on my Gameboy with the sounds cranked right up to annoy everyone with the repeatitive and frankly anger inducing soundtrack. I was completely hooked from an early age and played religously until the day my Gameboy died. It was then 14 years until I finally got to play again after buying Tetris Worlds for £7.99 for a pre-owned copy from Game.

Tetris is the best known computer/console puzzle game and has over the years taken on various guises but the basics have stayed the same and Tetris Worlds is no different. You have various coloured shapes that have to be moved and twisted around the fit into horizontal lines without breaks, the only difference with Tetris Worlds is that although you have the option to play classic tetris there are several other new variations of the game to try your hand at.

The other variations include - Squares - where you have to make squares instead of lines.

Cascade - When a line is cleared the blocks above flow into spaces below this makes it easier to plan the removal of lines and I find this now more addictive than the original game as it involves a greater amount of thought.

Hotline - Basically this mode is the original game with more points being awarded the higher the lines are completed up the screen - I find this mode dull and I usually die very quickly playing it!

The graphics to Tetris Worlds are plain and basic but I expected this when I bought the game - Tetris is not a game that relies on the way it looks or sounds - it relies on gameplay and this is certainly something that isn't lacking. The colours are bright and easily identifiable even to me - I'm red/green colourblind.

Thankfully the soundtrack that plays in the background has been brought into this century and there is a choice of sounds. They are still a bit dull but I prefer to play without sound.

I would recommend this game to everyone - it is so addictive I find myself glued to my TV screen for hours on end playing. Worth every penny and it keeps my mother amused when she comes to visit - she also suffers from ATS - Addicted to Tetris Syndrome. Go and buy it.

• tekin21 published 23/04/2006
    I used to love to play Tetris on my Atari (about 30 years ago – ouch!!), wouldn’t mind a bash at the modern version. Jane x
  • ailuj34 published 22/04/2006
    Goor review, always been a favourite of mine when you want to get away from the action! Julia
  • Danielle89 published 16/04/2006
    The PS1 and PS2 versions are great too. Mum got addicted to this when she was pregnant and just sat playing it all day! - Danielle x