The 1000 Mile Sock

The 1000 Mile Sock

Review of "The 1000 Mile Sock"

published 26/09/2017 | siberian-queen
Member since : 15/04/2011
So sad :( Thank you for all the rates i feel like i am losing some friends, is anyone going anywhere else? :(
Pro great for long distance walking, no blisters!
Cons higher price
Style

"Just keep walking and walking and walking"

The 1000 Mile Sock inside and out

The 1000 Mile Sock inside and out

I do a fair bit of walking with my two dogs and generally wear walking boots with a good pair of thick socks.
However, a friend and I decided that we were going to tackle a 21.5 mile charity walk across the countryside. With this in mind it was suggested that I purchase the 1000-mile all terrain socks.

*****WHY ARE THEY DIFFERENT? *****

So you may ask yourself as I did, why are these socks so different to any other sock?

These socks have a variety of different things that make them a little bit different form the rest. For the purposes of the review I am going to review each bit individually.
My picture shows the socks inside and out.

DOUBLE LAYER

The outer sock is made from merino wool, cotton, nylon and elastane lycra.
The sock feels very soft to the touch and not at all itchy as with some types of wool.
I was quite surprised at how light they felt too, wool can be quite heavy and as they are thick I thought they would be heavier so pleasantly pleased.
Another thing about the wool is that I was concerned that my feet would be very hot. The walk was on a sunny day around 19 degrees at some points and although my feet were warm, they were not overly hot.

TACTEL INNER LAYER

The inner layer of the sock is white and 100% Tactel, a versatile nylon fabric that is breathable.
Very comfortable. I can say I only had to readjust one of my socks during the whole walk. Very pleased no slipping of the inner sock or rucking up inside the boots.
The idea is that these breathable inner layers and the venting areas allow the feet to breather inside the socks and therefore help prevent moisture and smelly feet.

BLISTER FREE

This is the bit that most appealed to me. The thought of attempting to walk 21.5 miles and acquiring a blister somewhere on route filled me with dread.
I can safely say no blisters were made on either of my tootsies or my friends who purchased a pair also.
Great for their product as they do offer a non-blister guarantee within one year.

TOP AND SIDE VENTING

The venting areas allow the feet to breathe inside the socks and maintain a more constant temperature so helping to prevent smelly feet.
OK so my feet did not smell of roses when the boots came off at the end of the walk, but I can live with that.

FLAT TOE SEAM

The flat toe seam is great as so many socks have large seams, which on long walks do tend to rub against the toes and irritate the skin. Again no problems for my pinkies here.

ARCH BRACING

The arch bracing just gives a little added support across the arch of the foot, it does not feel tight or cumbersome but my feet feel secure in the sock. Even after such a long walk it did not feel like my feet were suffocating.
Generally speaking I found these socks very comfortable from the get go.

*****WEARING THE SOCKS*****

To put on is just like any other sock to be honest, however you must ensure that the inner sock is smooth to the surface of your skin. Any rucks in the fabric may cause discomfort on walking after a while. This is easy though as they seem to effortlessly go on fit to the shape of your foot.

The fit I found very good. I am a size 3-4 UK shoe size and so often socks are a bit big. These were size small 3-5.5 and were very good but I think would have enough give for the higher end of the shoe size.

*****WASHING*****

As over 40% of the outer sock is wool, you need to wash the socks on a 30 degree wash, not necessarily a wool cycle but you can do. If you wash them at a higher degree you run the risk of the sock shrinking.
They wash well in my findings and come up clean and fresh at 30 degrees with no problems.

To dry do not use a tumble dryer or they will shrink! Use your natural resources and peg out on the washing line. They do take a little longer than the average sock to dry given the double layer.

*****PRICE AND WHERE TO BUY*****

Prices range from £10 - £15 (I paid £9.95 on Amazon) depending on the type you get.

There are a variety of types for walking, running, short, long, men’s, women’s, extra support and come in a range of colours and size fittings.

Found in good walking type shops like www.millets.co.uk www.blacks.co.uk and www.amazon.co.uk etc.

*****OVERALL*****

These socks are not cheap and for day-to-day walking the dog I probably would not bother. However, if you are a distance walker or find general socks are causing you issues I would highly recommend giving these a go.

Review maybe posted on other review sites under the same username Siberian-queen©

• LiveMusicLoverLyn published 27/11/2017
    Fab
  • MissTopaz published 30/10/2017
    E review!
  • elwood_jones published 19/10/2017
    Can never go wrong with a decent pair of socks very helpful