Review of "The 100 Season 3 (DVD)"

published 22/06/2017 | mademoiselle.ariel
Member since : 18/02/2017
I'm a book, series, and movie fanatic. Thank you for reading my review and thank you for all of your ratings! I've been too busy with exams etc the last couple of weeks and will try to write and rate reviews again, soon. Have a lovely day, everyone!
Pro Sci-fi/fantasy Genre, Action, Character developments
Cons Annoying characters such as Pike.
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"A.L.I.E. and City of Light"

The 100 is an American post-apocalyptic SciFi-Dystopian drama television series developed by Jason Rothenberg, based on the book series of the same name by Kass Morgan. The series follows a group of Delinquents, who have been sent down to Earth to see if it is survivable. The series also follows those left behind on the Ark.

The first season was premiered in 2014 and the premier of season fourth has just started in February.

The series is loosely based on The 100, the first novel in the hundred series by Kass Morgan. Some characters are original characters and do not appear in the books. A few also have their personalities switched or shared. The TV series is also considered to be ahead of the book series in events. Many of the events that happen in the TV show may not happen in the books.

There are 16 episodes in season 3 which premiered in January, 2016.

Season 3 Plot

For two seasons, the refugees of The 100 sent to Earth have been at war. First with themselves, then with the Grounders, and finally with Mount Weather. Many have lost their lives along the way. All have lost their innocence. They have learned the hard way that in the fight for survival, there are no heroes and no villains. There is only the living and the dead. But now the war is over. The battle against Mount Weather has been won. The prisoners have returned home to a world seemingly at peace, but can they find peace within themselves after what they had to do to escape? And is there more to life than just surviving? Unfortunately, their newfound sense of normalcy will be short-lived, and their lives will be changed forever, as threats both old and new test their loyalties, push them past their limits, and make them question what it truly means to be human. First, they fought to survive. Then, they fought for their friends. Now, they will fight for the human race

Main Characters

Alycia Debnam-Carey as Lexa
Michael Beach as Charles Pike
Tasya Teles as Echo

Favorite episodes

Wanheda (3x01) — curious on what is going on and what is up with Clarke but loving her character more and more especially in this season.

Red Sky at Morning (3x14) — the character Monty has always been likeable but I admire him so much in this episode when he was put in a tough decision.

Perverse Instantiation – Part Two (3x16) — this episode is honestly so intense, I love every minute of this episode.

Least Favorite episodes

Watch The Thrones (3x04) — for anyone who watches this series and finally got to see a character name Pike, it amuses me the way he thinks and the way he always thinks that he's right. I dislike him big time and he is one of the reason why this is one of my least favorite episode.

Thirteen (3x07) — the end of this episode is the reason why its probably one of my least favorite episode. So you just have to watch it to understand why.

Stealing Fire (3x09) — Ontari is one of my least favorite character even though I do sympathised with her by the end of season 3.

My opinion

My sister told me about this series and I thought it was very different from most series that came out and most series that I watched at the time. The 100 have an intriguing plot/stories even though it is a bit dark and a bit intense for my taste but I still watch it until now nonetheless as I am curious what the writers will do to the characters in it that is still alive and kicking until now (hey, someone bound to die in these kinds of series, its not a spoiler), especially a character like Jasper who is getting more and more reckless in this season. I think the vision the writers and the producers have shines through even if they don't really have that big of a budget, and the cast works hard to serve increasingly complex characters and relationships.

A lot of emotional occurrences are happening to a lot of characters; I love the fact that they created such a strong female lead like Clarke. We can see from the pilot that she is strong but not only that, she is also smart and strategic which makes her a great leader especially when she is helped by another strong, major characters like Lexa or Bellamy. But in this season, we get to see her strength as a person, as a friend, and of course as a leader. I am very fond of her nickname in this season: Wanheda, which means The Commander of Death. Her relationship with Lexa—the fraught bond they have is also fascinating to watch, and even though The 100 doesn't really focus on romantic affair, I do love them together but I'd also love to see Bellamy and Clarke together as I believe that they have a very strong friendship to begin with, I love how they care for each other to a point where they would sacrifice their lives for each other.

There are a lot of characters that gets to my nerve this season, for example: Jasper, Jaha, Ontari, and Pike. I honestly continue on watching this series to see when they will die or if they will ever die. Though like I said before, as much as I dislike Ontari, I do sympathised with her in the end. I understand she has something to prove but she did it in the wrong way possible. But hey, this is The 100 after all; its either kill or get killed.

I admire Monty so much in this season. Nearing the end of this season, he was face with a tough decision but he did what he think is right even if he did hesitate for a second. Unlike Jasper, the writers showed his strength and we don't see him mopping around afterwards even if he does feel regret and remorse which is as it should be, he is human after all.

I have a lot of mixed feelings when it comes to Octavia. Parts of me dislike her, parts of me loves her; she's no longer this weak and powerless girl that lives under the floorboard. We got to see her character growing and becoming a warrior. But we all know and can feel she doesn't really belong anywhere. I don't know. There is something about her character that always annoys me but I also love every second of action scenes with her in it. I believe she'd grow even more stronger in the next season due to many events that happened in this season.

The story of A.L.I.E. gets old really fast for me though. But the season finale makes it worth it. When we get to see the city of light, all I can think about is how I understand why a lot of people just wants to stay there and I'd like to say more about it but I don't want to spoil anything if you do decide to watch them.

Price and Availability

You can buy them on amazon for £14.99 (or less if you buy used one) or you probably can always watch them on Netflix or Amazon prime (which cost around £2 per-episode and £24 for the whole season)

Recommendation

With its third season, the show keeps getting bigger, bleaker, and better. If you like sci-fi/fantasy or you find this intriguing then I totally recommend you to watch it. But just a heads up, the plot does go quite slow and the characters can be infuriating but absolutely worth it as the stories just gets better and even more gripping.

• danielclark691 published 15/08/2017
    very good
  • mousy86 published 16/07/2017
    Great review x
  • Chippytarka published 28/06/2017
    Really want to watch this!