The Artists Way - Julie Cameron

The Artists Way - Julie Cameron

Non-Fiction - Arts & Music - Literary Criticism & Theory - ISBN: 0330343580

Review of "The Artists Way - Julie Cameron"

published 05/12/2003 | thingywhatsit
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro Helps you to help yourself.
Cons None.

"BRING OUT THE ARTIST IN YOU."

I was given this book last Christmas and am delighted with it. It is a large paperback version and comes with a free Journal that is beautifully presented and makes a wonderful gift for someone who does not give enough time to theirselves. I love it.

When I first received this book, I kind of put it to one side and thought I shall read it later. I did one day and when I started, I could not put it down because what the author Julie Cameron says is so true, so real and yes she is right. People sometimes never find the artist within themselves because they are too busy to give time to themselves and discover who they really are.

This might sound a little twee, but believe me it works. In her book, you follow certain steps in order to become the artist that all of us are. Now, this does not mean painter, this means that we have so little time to bring out our creative side that we neglect it totally because of the way the world goes. Rush, rush, rush.

What she encourages a person to do is to set aside a little time for themselves called a Writers Date where you just have this set time to do anything that your heart desires.

She also believes that people do not express themselves because they are too locked into routines. She suggests that when you wake in the morning you write down the first things that come into your head. Nothing contrived, nothing thought out at all, just the first things that your hand writes and that in doing this, you let go of negative thoughts that some of us don't even know are there.

This is the purpose of the journal that comes with the book. It is a beautiful journal and a pleasure to fill in each morning.

This book and journal are available from Amazon at £15 and for the money, make a caring present for someone that you really feel deserves it. It's a caring present but also a very thoughtful one.

The illustrations on the outside of the book are like chinese art, and the journal is filled with useful quotes and includes the morning pages (i.e. the thoughts you write down in the morning), the contract that you make with yourself that you will do it, A guide to starting creativity and a questions and answers section to help the reader to achieve their goals.

I was given this book by someone that I know on the internet and who knows the kind of life I have had and who cared sufficiently to want to share the experience with me. He had a copy and I had a copy, and we both fulfilled the aims of the book and found ourselves to be better people at the end of it, enriched, capable, and indeed artists in one way or another, me in my writing, and he in his painting of water colors.

The Artists Way brings out the best in a person and can be used by anyone who feels their creativity is stifled by life.

A wonderful gift to give a friend.

Thanks for reading

Rachel

• vickitomlinson published 09/12/2003
    This sounds fab – nice one Rachel! Vicki
  • BUBBLES171 published 07/12/2003
    oh crikes no more artists please, my hubby is an artist and the house is crammed with books and paints and boards and frames, hoping to start up in business soon and hopefully in the next couple of years have an extension so he can have a studio and room and bathroom and all his stuff can be transported there.... a clean tidy house, saying that just spent £140 on new art books for him lol.
  • stuleg published 05/12/2003
    Sounds like a nice gift indeed. Stuart