The Beatles Story, Liverpool

The Beatles Story, Liverpool

Museum - Address: Albert Dock, Liverpool, Merseyside L3 4AD

Review of "The Beatles Story, Liverpool"

published 23/02/2010 | lulu984LC
Member since : 13/02/2010
Pro Parking, Value for money and great exhibition
Cons Some sections were quite small for the amount of people in there
Prices
Is it worth visiting?
Transport links
Family Friendly

"Beatlemania! The Beatles Story - Albert Dock"

For my birthday in November just gone, I was taken to Liverpool for the weekend.
Not a fancy destination, I'll give you that, but cheap and cheerful. I had always wanted to go to Liverpool as I am a bit of a Beatles fan and I knew I could visit a whole bunch of tourist places (penny lane, strawberry fields, and John Lennon & Paul McCartney's old houses!).
When I was looking up places I would like to go, I came across The Beatles Story, which is located on Albert Dock - on the list it went.

On the Saturday (our only full day in Liverpool) we popped all the addresses in the sat nav and off we went. The weather was awful, pouring down rain and strong winds and it was freezing cold, as you can imagine being by the Mersey! We were quite enjoying our own little tour of Liverpool from the comfort of our car; it was like our personal little tour bus.
We were then debating about even going to the Beatles Story, as we were getting more of an experience for free in our own company. I had heard of The Magical Mystery Tours etc but we couldn't get a place on these, probably our fault for not booking ahead of time.

Seeing as we couldn't book on the tours and we had visited every destination our sat nav could find, we had run out of things to do by 3pm! To the dock we went.

After finding somewhere to park, we made a made rush to the Beatles spot.
Took a couple of pictures and walked down the stairs (it's below foot level).
There was a short queue to get tickets and my other half said he would treat me as it was my birthday (£12.25 saved there!).
There were programmes available and I usually collect them from every place I've been. But they were £2.50 each (so what if I'm tight?!), I had a flick through and it didn't seem to be worth it to be honest.
We walked to the left to collect our headsets, which would help us learn more about each section of the exhibition.

The Beatles Story was amazing, there were people there of all ages and everybody had learnt something new by the end of it.
We heard about their days before they were The Beatles, when they were known as The Quarrymen. We heard how they met and where they wrote their first songs from.
As well as listening and reading, as we walked into each section, it felt like we were in a part of The Beatles history! Big effort must of gone into the whole Exhibition - from replicated rooms like looked like places they used to perform, to the Abbey Road Studios, where they are recording a song. We heard about Beatlemania and felt like we had been caught up in the moment ourselves!
But the highlights would definitely have to be walking on The Yellow Submarine - where they even had little fish in the portholes to give it the full effect! There was also a massive reproduction of the Sgt Pepper album cover - with 3D John, Paul, Ringo & George and all the flowers etc laid out in front of them, it was really something to see.
We toured through every aspect of their careers and even their home life, learning about their marriages and children. It was very detailed and you honestly couldn't pick a fault with it in the slightest.
As we were nearing the end of the tour, I admit we had to rush through a couple of sections as we were running out of time in the car park (we had only paid for an hour and could've easily spent over two in there!). However, probably the most surreal moment was walking into a white room. As we turned the corner in the white room (whilst worrying we would make it dirty lol) there was John Lennon's piano from the Imagine video and guitar). It was a nice little surprise and also just made you sad to think that two of the four Beatles are no longer with us. Such a loss of pure talent.

If you are ever in Liverpool and even if you aren't that big of a fan (this tour converted my other half - he even let me play their songs the whole way home!) I would recommend shelling out the bargain price of £12.25 for an adult ticket and having a stroll around at your own pace. It will really make you respect and understand the world's most successful group and I bet you will come out with at least one of their songs in your head!

• Angela150 published 23/02/2010