The Big Issue Magazine

The Big Issue Magazine

Review of "The Big Issue Magazine"

published 26/12/2015 | xd-o-n-z-x
Member since : 13/02/2014
After almost a year off, I'm back!! Looking forward to reading all of your reviews - thank you for all the rates - very much appreciated!! :)
Pro well written
Cons found it a bit boring
Quality of journalism
Quality of features
Quantity of advertising

"~ * Here's The Issue * ~"

Being a huge magazine reader, I had always wondered what The Big Issue magazine was like, however I had never plucked up the courage to buy one. On Christmas Eve, I was doing a last minute dash round Marks and Spencer’s when I noticed a lady outside the door selling The Big Issue. As it was Christmas, I decided to buy one. The issue I have in front of me is the 2015 Christmas Special and cost me £3.00.

I think that the magazine is an excellent set up. Right at the beginning of the magazine, it says what the magazine’s manifesto is; We believe in a hand up not a handout, we believe in trade not aid, we believe poverty is indiscriminate, we believe in the right to citeizenship, we believe in prevention. I like how selling the magazine is actually like running a business for the vendor; they buy them for £1.25 and sell them on for the usual price of £2.50 which I think is great as it gives homeless people skills which would benefit them in the workplace.

I enjoyed reading the correspondence page as I find it interesting seeing what other people’s views on certain topics are. The magazine is up to date and features current news issues. I enjoyed the article ‘A Good Talking To’ where famous people write a letter to their younger selves. Each letter is short, but straight to the point and features famous people such as Tom Jones and Olivia Newton-John. The magazine features a lot of famous names and faces, although I have to say that a lot of them are ones I had not heard of before... That said, there is an interview with British Actor James Corden (who I have heard of) and found it to be very entertaining.

There a quite a few adverts in this magazine; I like how a lot of them are for events you can get involved with such as the Glasgow Film Festival and an adventure advert for Macmillan; it’s good because at this time of year, people are thinking of things they would like to do in the new year. There’s plenty of columns in this magazine from people such as John Bird and the Archbishop of Canterbury. I found the Vendor Successes article to be very inspiring. It features eight Big Issue vendors who have made a success of themselves. I found this to be a very heart-warming read.

Did I enjoy the magazine? I did enjoy parts of it, but not all of it. I really wanted to enjoy it as it’s for a really good cause. However, to be honest it wasn’t really up my street. I found it read more like a newspaper than a magazine. I felt that the magazine was for older readers than myself (I’m 24) as it featured a lot of famous people who I had never heard of (who were in their sixties etc and so were around before my time. Also the articles seemed a bit ‘too serious’ for my liking. It’s a good magazine, but not to my taste, which I’m really annoyed with myself for as after buying it once, I wanted it to be something I would continue to buy each week.

I would definitely recommend giving it a try though as it’s a great magazine...just that I am more a fan of ‘women’s magazines’ and ‘celebrity gossip’ magazines than news and current issues type magazines. It’s a well put together magazine and well written and much better than I thought it would be.

Thanks for reading!