Review of "The Blue Lagoon, Iceland"

published 09/03/2006 | bonkerskirsty
Member since : 21/11/2003
Good
Pro Unique experience
Cons Expensive
Sightseeing
Shopping
Nightlife
Ease of getting around

"Hot spa"

Having first heard about the Blue Lagoon I wasn;t convinced I wanted to visit, but thought that it would be a waste to go all the way to Iceland and miss it, so we booked an excursion run by Reykjavik Excursions. We turned up at the bus station and just booked it on the day. Apparently they were doing a 'deal' whereby for the return coach trip and entry to the Blue Lagoon it would cost about £35! This seemed extortionate for a 20 min coach trip and to sit in a hot spa, but as we had been told how unique the experience was, we thought we'd fork out.

On arrival you are told to remove your shoes and put them in a plastic bag to enter the changing room so the floor doesn't get dirty. This seemed a bit excessive but we did as we were told, then got changed and went to enter the lagoon.

We had been told that there was a way you could get into the spa indoors and then swim outdoors so that you did not have t go outside, however this was a complete lie (or at least that option wasnt available when we went in the freexing cold month of February!). This meant there was about 10 feet to cover outsdide before you could into the lagoon. Believe me, 10 feet in minus degrees really was awful! However, it does make you appreciate the warmth of the spa when you are in there. As expected the water as as blue as they claimed it would be, and there were 'buckets' with the minerals in which you could spoon out and put onto your skin.

I would advice that the best time to go was mid afternoon as by early evening a lot of the locals come and use the lagoon after work so it soon becomes busy. Also if you go in the winter, none of the extras like the sauna or massage areas are open, so the only attraction is the spa itself.

We spent about 30 mins in the water before braving the 10 feet sprint back inside again. It was relaxing as it feels somewhat like being in a bath but in the middle of nowhere, but I think is rather expensive for what it actually is. Though that said, it is pretty much the only place in the world where you could experience this so I suppose it's the price you pay for a unique experience!

After changing there is a cafe and restaurant area if you fancy a drink or snack and there is a souvenir shop, but all are equally expensive. There are plenty of buses running to take you back agai afterwards, and always seemed to be on time.

• MAFARRIMOND published 10/03/2006
    I wish . . . . Maureen
  • sarah_bramley published 09/03/2006
    Good review, thanks. I am off to Iceland in a few months and initally really wnated to go to this but now I'm not so sure!

Product Information : The Blue Lagoon, Iceland