Review of "The Body Shop Coconut Body Butter"

published 17/08/2008 | nursie_nursie
Member since : 17/09/2005
Pro Smells gorgeous, moisturises really well.
Cons Makes you want a holiday even more!
Accessibility
Duration of use

"Caribbean daydream."

Just so you can see what this miracle product looks like!

Just so you can see what this miracle product looks like!

This is one of my favourite products from The Body Shop and also one of the most popular products they sell according to their figures! There has to be a reason why so many people love it!

The Body Shop is well known for their body butters, and with good reason, these products are jam packed with moisturising ingredients and there is a scent for everyone's tastes.

This particular body butter comes in a chocolate brown plastic tub, with a screw top lid. The lid makes it easy to scoop out with your finger tips the amount you want.

The butter itself is a cream colour, certainly not white. This butter is set to the point that a new tub will still have a little nodule on the top where the pouring stopped. On the surface (when new) you can see the oil, only just, not like an oil slick or in a bad way.

This comes highly scented, this has a gorgeous fragrance and is, as you would expect, coconut, nothing else! This is sweet coconut rather than dry and boring it really brightens your day with its sun tan lotion, holiday scent.

The scent does linger on the skin but not strongly, it certainly doesn't fight with perfumes for superiority.

This couldn't be any thicker without being completely solid, it is like proper butter. Hard but melts easily against your skin so that you can easily rub it onto yourself. This is the hardest body butter I have come across, I haven't used the nut scented ones though which might be hard too.

This is so super concentrated in the moisturising department that you really don't need much to get a real result from it, a little goes a long, long way, so a tub will last ages!

I find this super moisturising and if I ever feel like a I need a moisture boost then this is what I reach straight for. This tackles dry elbows with ease and skin is left feeling soft, supple and healthy again.

The moisturisation lasts all day (and night) it isn't one of those products where you find your skin just dries back out after a few hours it really does give 24 hour effects!

Recently my future sister-in-law had really dry skin after a reaction to a product she had used on her shoulders. The worst part was it was just two weeks before her prom and she didn't want red shoulders (or worse, flaking ones) clashing with her pink dress. She was using all manner of creams to try and get the redness to dissipate with no luck. I recommended this straight away! She hadn't thought she could use anything fragranced where it was a little sore but this didn't sting and meant she had perfect skin for the prom.

The one and only problem I can come up with is that where it is so packed full of moisturising oils it can be too heavy for some skins because of how oily it is, especially if you are too heavy handed with it.

This is formulated for normal to dry skin, I would say that it is better for dry skin, normal skin doesn't tend to need this level of moisturisation. I save it for when I feel my skin needs the extra boost otherwise it is a bit too much for my skin.

I do have a small patch of eczema on my arm that can flare up with some products but with none of The Body Shop Body Butters, especially not this one, if anything it feels far better after using this.

This is one of the nicest scents and as almost everyone loves coconut it is a good option for gifts.

The Body Shop do a range of products in this scent so if you end up loving this you can layer the scent to make it slightly stronger or just use more products because you simply can!

Other products in this fragrance range include;
Coconut Soap £2.50 100g
Coconut Milk Body Lotion £3.00 - £8.00 60 / 250ml
Coconut Textured Body Scrub £5.00 - £12.00 50ml / 200ml
Coconut Bath And Shower Cream £2.50 - £6.00 60ml / 250ml
Coconut Foaming Bath £8.00 400ml
Coconut Lip Butter £5.00 10ml
Coconut Hand Wash £5.50 250ml
Coconut Bath Fizzy £3.00 145g

If coconut isn't your thing then The Body Shop also sell body butter in sixteen other main fragrances as well as three limited edition ones right now. I think that should mean that there is most definitely one to suit everyone's skin and taste in fragrances!

At five pounds for a small 50ml tub and twelve pounds for a large 200ml I don't think it is bad value. This lasts a long time so the value is better than it seems at first glance.

This is highly recommended, I think anyone would struggle to dislike this body butter (unless you hate coconut obviously) as it works wonders, lasts well and smells of warm summer days in the sun!

The Body Shop is involved with many charities and foundations, information on these can be found through links on their website. None of their products are tested on animals. They also run their own version of fair trade, which they call community trade, they pay fair prices to farmers of the ingredients they buy. Details of their community trade programme can also be found on their website.

The website is very user friendly and means not only can you buy online (good P&P charges and fast delivery) but you can also find out more about their products and find out where your local store is situated.
www.thebodyshop.co.uk

• Secre published 17/08/2008
    I actually bought some of this recently, (very rare for me) and have been very impressed with it! I think when this runs out I'll start going through the other fragrences! Lissy
  • lily80 published 17/08/2008
    Another very good review for you,as usual !! x I've just used it this body butter this morning and agree with you on the moisturizing / nourishing part. However, I've had mine for more than one year and a half (I use other body butters and creams) and I've grown tired of it. I don't think I will buy it again before long.
  • SweetTooth93 published 17/08/2008
    I love body shop products but the coconut body butter is one I haven't used before. I do have the oil burner though, and if you mix the coconut oil with the vanilla oil, the house begins to smell of vailla ice cream...its gorg! xx