Review of "The Body Shop Coconut Body Butter"

published 30/08/2010 | Clurbur85
Member since : 29/11/2009
Good
Pro The product goes a long way, it moisturises skin well.
Cons Too oily, there are better scents within the collection.
Accessibility
Duration of use

"This is one oily coconut!"

If you read some of my reviews then you'll know that I'm no stranger to The Body Shop. I own lots of beauty items from the company and I make an indulgent purchase every few months. To be honest I have that many items knocking around that I forget what I have and what I haven't got... Last night I decided to get all my bath products out before I ran my bath and I decided to use an item that I haven't used for a while - The Body Shop Coconut Body Butter.

Price and availability

This body butter usually costs £5.00 for a small 50ml tub, or £12.50 for 200ml tub, but the Body Shop is currently running an offer where you can buy two 200ml tubs for £15.00, so now is a good time to stock up! This is really good value because each tub of body butter goes a long way.

You can buy this product from Body Shop stores - which are located on most major high streets. Or alternatively you can purchase a tub at a Body Shop at Home party, or on-line at www.thebodyshop.co.uk.

This body butter comes in a plastic tub with a screw on lid, there are pictures of coconuts on the label, but make sure you double check that you have selected the correct butter, because a lot of the nutty body butters within the range have similar packaging.
What does the product claim to do?

On The Body Shop website it states that the Coconut Body Butter is "an intensive, creamy butter offering up to 24 hours moisturisation. It absorbs into the skin easily, helping to condition, soften and smooth the skin. Once you get over the indulgent tropical scent, slick this on and be transported all over again."

My Opinion

I would never have bought this product myself, because, as a rule I hate coconut. My mum used to use a cocnut body butter when I was a kid and the smell used to make me heave. Also, a friend of mine used to wear a coconut perfume and again, that used to make me feel sick. So when I was presented with this butter as a birthday present two years ago I wasn't particularly looking forward to trying it out.

I was planning on donating the butter to my mum, but I smelt it in the tub and surprisingly I wasn't repulsed. The coconut scent isn't as strong as it is in other butters. There is Shea oil used within this product and I think that tones the coconut down a little.

When you open the body butter you will see a creamy, beige coloured butter. It is quite a firm and you really have to dig your fingers into it.

I apply body butter after I've had a bath. I usually take a little bit of this product and I rub it into each body part - a little does go a long way (the Body Shop butters have longevity). It takes more time and effort to rub this particular butter into your skin, because it's very oily, but if you persevere then it does smooth and hydrate - you just need to have a towel handy to wipe your hands afterwards.

I have had this body butter for just over two years, I've used approximately half of the tub and the remaining butter is still in perfect condition. So if you're somebody that will only use body butters occasionally then it may be worth trying.

Although I did enjoy using this butter again, it definitely isn't my favourite within the range. It is very oily compared to the Body Shop's other nutty body butters and I am not a big fan of the scent. Even if you like the coconut smell I would still advice you to try an alternative nut body butter within the range, because for me, this particular product doesn't match up - there are better scents and butters with a better, less oily consistency.

I award it three stars.

• daniella2010 published 11/10/2010
    I found the exact same thing with this body butter - I love the scent of coconut but it is far too rich! Great review x
  • MrBrightside1987 published 10/10/2010