Review of "The Body Shop Seaweed Ionic Clay Mask"

published 17/12/2012 | daisyleex
Member since : 24/05/2011
Pro Smells ok, good consistency, not drying, makes skin feel better and look a little clearer
Cons Price, nothing special

"Body Shop Seaweed Ionic Clay Mask"

It was my birthday a few months ago and one of the presents that I recieved was a gift bag full of The Body Shop goodies, which included a pot of the seaweed clay face mask.

I'd seen this quite a few times in The Body Shop but as it's aimed at oily skin (and is quite expensive!) I wasn't too sure about it and gave it a miss. I'm glad that I got it as a present though as it's a pretty good face mask, although I definitely wouldn't buy it unless it was on offer as it costs £12.00 per 100ml. For that price I'd rather buy a fresh Lush mask which are full of natural, nourishing ingredients. I'm not saying that this is full of chemicals or anything, but most of the ingredients sound very chemical-like and it contains alchohol as well, which is supposed to be quite a bad ingredient in skincare products.

On a more positive note, none of the ingredients have been tested on animals which is always an advantage. The Body Shop claim that this face mask draws out impurities, revitalises & cleanses the skin and controls excess oil. It is best suited to oily, blemish prone skin and can be used up to twice weekly. As I have very dry skin I was a little worried that the mask would make my skin even dryer. While it certianly isn't moisturising, I've not found it to be too drying which I was quite pleasantly suprised by.

The face mask comes in a medium sized plastic pot which is round. The pot has a screw-on lid which is blue. It has the brand and product name written on it as well as a brief rundown of what it does. There's a blue label wrapped around the tub itself and the packaging is pretty basic. The face mask itself is quite an off-putting dark green/grey colour when it's in the tub but once it's dried onto my skin it's a lighter grey with an aqua green tinge to it. I was expecting this to very thick due to the clay in the ingredients, but it's just the right consistency - thick enough to feel luxurious, but not so thick that it is hard to spread over my skin.

One medium sized blob is enough to cover all of my face. I use a thin layer as instructed and it doesn't feel heavy or like it's clogging up my pores. I usually use mine before I have a bath and always wash my face quickly before applying it as this helps it spread over my dry skin. After I've applied it it takes around five minutes before it's really hard and dry and I leave it on for ten minutes - any longer and it starts to crack and flake. When it's on my face it has a pleasant cooling sensation and feels quite refreshing. The smell is pretty strong and the scent is okay - it's fresh, quite earthy and seaside-ish.

When it comes to washing it off I basically get into the bath and stick my face under the water and scrub my face like mad with my exfoliating face brush - this is the quickest way and it is way too time consuming to remove it with a flannel or sponge. So.. the results. They're good, but I've had equally good results from much cheaper face masks. It leaves my skin feeling tight (but not uncomfortably so), soft, clean, fresh and smooth. Visibly I've not noticed any reduction in blackheads whatsoever, so the claim that it draws out impurities is not strictly true. It dries up any spots and my skin, apart from the blackheads that I always get on my nose looks clearer, but the results are nothing special.

Overall I recommend this face mask but I personally wouldn't pay £12.00 for it and I give it four out of five stars.

Summary: 4/5