Review of "The Body Shop Strawberry Body Polish"

published 10/09/2017 | euphie
Member since : 21/09/2012
Pro Leaves skin feeling softer and with a lovely scent
Cons Very gentle scrub, not suitable for very rough areas
Does it smell good?

"polishing my skin"

The Body Shop Strawberry Body Polish

The Body Shop Strawberry Body Polish

I am fortunate in that my friends know that I love anything strawberry scented and I normally end up with lots of strawberry scented bath stuff every year for Christmas and my birthday.  I got this in a strawberry scented gift set from a friend last Christmas.

The Body Polish

This is one of those products that has confused me slightly as I'm not quite sure if it's a shower gel or a scrub or a bit of both. Personally, I use mine as an occasional scrub and find it's particularly handy to take with me if I am away overnight and want to make sure my skin looks it's best without dragging a pile of different lotions and potions with me.

The Body Shop describe this as a product to Smooth and soften your skin as you gently buff away dead skin cells with our Strawberry Body Polish. Your skin will feel more silky-soft and nourished with long lasting moisture. It is a body exfoliator which helps to gently refines skin and leave your skin should feel feel softer and smoother

This contains cold-pressed strawberry seed oil and Community Trade honey from Ethiopia.
Packaging

The packaging fits in well with the rest of the of the strawberry range in The Body Shop with a strawberry in the centre of the Body Shop logo. It is in a long tube with a fip cap and while the top of the tube is a dark red, it;s clear towards the bottom so you saw see how much of the product you have left which I always find very handy.

In Use

This is a quite thick red coloured gel with some scrubby bits dotted through it. While it seems there aren't too many scrubby bits, there seems to be enough to make a difference to how soft my skin is, so appearances can be deceiving. The gel provides a rich lather but can also be washed off really easily. However, there is a warning not to use this on the face (not that I would have considered this anyway) but I think that because it's a gentle scrub, some people might think it would work well on their facial skin but I can't imagine the highly scented scrub would be kind on facial skin.

While this does have some grains through it for gentle exfoliation, I wouldn’t describe it as a scrub.  I only use a scrub about once or twice a week and I find that this one is handy for when you're in a hurry as you only need one step for showering and scrubbing yourself. Normally when I am using this polish though I follow on with a quick wash with some shower gel, just so I can be sure that I have gotten rid of all the scrubby bits, as nothing worse than finding out that you have missed bits when you're out later that day! I have found that sometimes the scrubby bits can seem quite keen to stick to your body but the quick wash ensures that they are all removed. These little strawberry seeds are quite good at sticking to any parts with any hair on them as well and can take a while to wash away completely from these areas so probably best to use this after hair removal. I think that

The Body Shop Strawberry scented items always smell less synthetic than some other brands of shower gels and this one is no exception. I read a review that said this had a slight calpol scent and I think that's a good description, a sweet rich strawberry scent and one that's still instantly recognisable from the days where I was buying strawberry and satsuma bubbles from the Animals in Danger range at The Body Shop. On a totally unrelated note, wonder what happened to that range? It just seemed to disappear and it was something I always loved?

I would rate this body polish as one of my favourite items from The Body Shop though as it leaves my skin feeling very soft and smooth after use with a slight strawberry scent that lasts for a couple of hours after using it, more if I use it along with the body lotion or body butter. It leaves my skin looking and smelling lovely and while I would say this is gentle enough to use daily, I prefer to keep mine for special occasions. I don't think it's worth the cost though and isn't an essential for me even though I rate the product highly. I just prefer to use a grainier scrub on my skin whereas this I feel would be suitable for very sensitive skin as it's quite gentle.

The Body Shop is against animal testing but there are some arguments as they were owned by L'Oreal that they sold out on some of their beliefs. I have been loyal to the brand for 20 years now though and continued to use their products even after being bought by L'Oreal – even though I much preferred the brand and their products before.
Price and Availability

This is available from The Body Shop and costs £10 for 200ml and £6 for a 75ml tube.  While it is more expensive than a shower gel, there are often offers and 40% off deals with The Body Shop so you can usually pick this up for less. I don't think it's really worth the full price but I always try to stock up on those items that I normally use when I find a decent offer with the Body Shop.

As this is a Body Shop own brand product, it is available from The Body Shop stores and at https://www.thebodyshop.com/en-gb/range/strawberry/strawberry-softening-body-polish/p/p000091 as well. You might be able to pick some of this up cheap on eBay as well
Summing Up

I have been using this for around three years now and I am still unsure of what exactly it is! I do find it very useful though as I bring it with me if I am away somewhere and I don't need to worry about bringing a shower gel and a scrub with me, I just take this instead.

I do feel that this is a slightly gimmicky product though. It does a good job of leaving my skin feeling soft and smooth but I remain undecided about whether or not this is really worth the money. I think I'd rather buy a separate shower gel and a grainier scrub for my skin rather than using this which is a slightly scrubby shower gel in my opinion. When my current small tube of this runs out, I probably won't repurchase it though as I don't think it's worth spending £10 on it but I do enjoy using it all the same. The smaller 75ml tube might be useful for someone who suffers a lot from dry skin and needs a gentle scrub that doesn’t take up much space when travelling as this doubles as your shower gel and also a gentle scrub.

I'd be happy to receive this as a gift but there are better products out there that are cheaper.

• aclevername published 07/11/2017