Review of "The Body Shop Tea Tree Blackhead Exfoliating Wash"

published 05/05/2012 | Alyson29
Member since : 07/09/2010
Satisfactory
Pro Smells gorgeous and left my skin feeling clean and fresh
Cons Minimal exfoliating grains, caused dryness and discomfort
How does it affect your skin?
Does it dehydrate your skin?

"An extremely disappointing facial wash from The Body Shop"

The Body Shop Tea Tree Blackhead Exfoliating Wash

I have taken good care of my body and facial skin ever since my teenage years where I have always adhered to a strict daily routine. Without fail every evening when I return home from work I will carefully remove my make-up and use a range of products to wash my face, cleanse, tone and moisturise. As a result, I have skin that I can be really proud of, but this can only be achieved by a little patience and through the use of good quality products and most importantly, ones that actually work. However, I often suffer with blackheads to the side of my nose and occasionally feel that horrible pulling sensation when a spot is starting to form below the skin's surface. I own a large number of exfoliating products; some of which I find extremely favourable and others that will never be purchased again. A product that had been sitting in my drawer for several months is one belonging to The Body Shop, which I began using a few months ago and this review discusses their Tea Tree Blackhead Exfoliating Wash.

APPEARANCE OF THE PRODUCT

The entire range of The Body Shop's Tea Tree products are contained within green packaging and the 100 ml of exfoliating wash is presented to us in a sturdy plastic tube, which neatly sits on a flip up lid. I often find much of The Body Shop's packaging to be extremely busy, particularly as the product information is always provided in several languages. We are advised that the wash is suitable for blemished skin and its' purpose is to assist in unclogging pores to create clearer looking skin.

USING THE EXFOLIATING WASH

The first mistake The Body Shop has made is that the directions for use are printed in the smallest of text and although I do not wear corrective lenses I experienced major problems with reading it. I learned that the wash should be massaged into wet skin so I dampened my face with warm water and flipped open the lid and gently squeezed the tube. Whilst the consistency cannot be classed as runny, it isn't as thick as I had hoped. The strong smell of tea tree was evident the moment I squeezed the tube and as this is an aroma that I associate with clean and fresh I found it quite favourable. However, if you prefer a more subtle scent this would not be the product for you. The wash is a vivid green in colour with tiny fragments of crushed apricot stones to deliver the exfoliating effect.

I applied the product to my face and started to massage, but I was very disappointed, as the apricot stones were very sparse and did not offer me the exfoliating effect that I can obtain from similar products. However, I continued to use the wash and paid particular attention to problem areas, such as the sides of my nose and chin where pores can often easily block. The wash was easily rinsed away with a little warm water and to close my pores I splashed with cold. I was pleased that there was no sticky residue, as this was something I was expecting, particularly as the wash felt a little oily when it was applied to my skin.

I would describe my skin as T-zone and I was hoping that this would be the product to assist me. However, within only five minutes of my first use I suffered tightness on my foreheads cheeks and chin, which felt rather uncomfortable. Consequently, it was necessary to immediately apply my favourite moisturiser. Due to the fact that I cannot abide waste I have been continuing to use the remaining wash and immediately applying moisturiser, but I cannot state that this is a product that I will repurchase, as it is not the high quality I had expected. The wash is gentle enough for daily use and despite my grumbles it always leaves my skin feeling clean, radiant and healthy. Through continued use the wash has assisted in preventing blocked pores and the breakout of spots or blackheads, but I am able to achieve identical results with many other cheaper products.

INGREDIENTS AND OTHER INFORMATION

There is a long list of ingredients contained on the reverse of the tube and for obvious reasons I do not intend copying them into this review. However, I would advise that the wash contains tea tree oil that has been obtained from the Kenya Organic Farmer's Association, which has been grown in the foothills of Mount Kenya. As you are probably aware, The Body Shop does not test any of its products on animals. The wash should be used within 12 months of opening and can be recycled once empty.

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY

A 100 ml tube of Tea Tree Blackhead Exfoliating Wash will normallly cost you £5.50, but at the time of writing it can be purchased from their website for £4.12 where you can obtain a further 10% if you own one of their Love your Body cards.

Unfortunately, this product does not rate highly with me due to the reasons stated above and therefore, receives only 2 stars.

This review has previously been posted on Dooyoo under the same user name.

• kiss_me2070 published 11/05/2012
    Great review.
  • catsholiday published 10/05/2012
    I must try this some time!
  • jjcross published 08/05/2012
    Such a pity really, I prefer using the St Ives brand, as it works really well!