Review of "The Body Shop Vitamin E Moisture Serum"

published 05/11/2017 | catsholiday
Member since : 03/03/2003
Reviews : 1982
Sad to see this site no longer paying. Thanks to everyone for reading and rating over the years and hope not to lose touch with long term ciaoers.
Pro Good price, fast absorbed and moisturises my skin
Cons Some less natural sounding ingredients, no leaping bunny symbol
How easily is it absorbed?

"Body Shop Vitamin E Moisture Serum"

The Body Shop Vitamin E Moisture Serum

Some time ago I was persuaded to host a Body Shop party and as a result I ended up buying quite a few products having been convinced by the Body Shop advisor that they were worth buying. This as one of those products and I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised with the quality and benefits of this product.

~#~#~#~#~ BODY SHOP AT HOME ~#~#~#~#~

Prior to attending the party where I was persuaded to host my own party I had no idea there was a party plan side of the Body Shop. If you host a party you get extra presents provided your party buys more than £100 plus and if others book a party from your party then you get even more.
They say that they will always beat shop prices but I am not so sure as I bought some things on line at 50% off and used a money off code and they were much cheaper so I would say that it pays to shop around and check in store and on line prior to going to any party.

~#~#~#~#~ ABOUT BODY SHOP ETHICS ~#~#~#~#~

Body Shop of course was one of the first companies to fight animal testing and create products using Fair trade ingredients etc when it was started by Anita Brodick . It is now owned by L’Oreal and while they still trade under the Body Shop ethics L’Oreal’s own ethics are less great. They are also both under the umbrella companies of Nestle and Procter and Gamble. In fact L’Oreal own huge numbers of brands that you would not realise and is one of the biggest companies around.

While all beauty products sold in the EU are under the same ban and cannot be tested on animals and neither can any of their ingredients. L’Oreal state that they do not test any of their products or ingredients anywhere in the world on animals.

Body Shop now have removed all their shops and products from China and L’Oreal are working with the Chinese regulatory authorities to find other ways of testing that do not involve animals so things are improving slowly there which I am happy to learn. However they still do not have the official leaping bunny symbol on their products so obviously not PETA approved.

Body Shop are working on minimising their packing and state that their “pack-to-content ratio will never exceed 0.2 grams of packaging per gram of product” . They use paper and card that is from an FSC – certified source.

They do seem to be working towards reducing their impact on the planet by using low energy lighting in stores reducing heating and using more efficient technology. They aim to reduce their energy use by 50%.

If you look on their site they have a big article about their commitment to the planet which is quite interesting.

~#~#~#~#~ WHAT BODY SHOP SAY ~#~#~#~#~

“This lightweight, pre-moisturiser treatment boosts the skin giving enhanced all-day moisture and protection. Formulated with protective vitamin E and moisturising wheatgerm oil. Leaves skin feeling instantly smooth. Follow with our selection of Vitamin E day and night moisturisers, as part of your personalised skincare programme.”

~#~#~#~#~ MY VIEWS AND EXPERIENCE ~#~#~#~#~

This serum comes in a neat plastic cylindrical container with an air pump dispenser which has a clear plastic lid covering it. The air pump is great as it keeps the contents uncontaminated and dispenses just the right amount per pump. It also dispensed every last bit too as I have just finished mine and it is really properly empty.

The serum was a light pinkish colour and more like a light lotion than some serums I have used. I applied this to my face skin after cleansing and toning. It is a very light feeling product that was easy to apply and gently smooth upwards onto the skin on my face. I found I didn't have long to wait for this to soak into my skin and then I could apply my moisturiser.

The serum main claim is that it has a boost of vitamin E which helps the skin maintain its moisture and is what ageing skin needs extra help with in order to maintain its elasticity. This serum is suitable for al skin types and ages as it is never too soon to start looking after your skin, I wish I had started earlier as now I have left it until I already have lines and wrinkles and can only hope to slow any further damage.

UV rays not only can cause skin cancer but also contribute to the skin ageing and does damage the skin's natural reserves of vitamin E so using a product with extra Vitamin E should help your skin replenish its natural reserves and this also acts as an anti oxidant protecting the skin from damage caused by free radicals.

I am of the age when my skin is described as mature but I do also have a greasy T zone with enlarged pores. I have not found that this serum has made my skin greasy at all on my T zone zone area but seems to adapt to both types of my skin and keeps it all equally moisturised but not greasy. My make up stays put when I use this and doesn't slide off during the day either.

This has Community Trade honey from Ethiopia but this aroma doesn't come through at all and this serum doesn't have much of an aroma at all. It smells slightly like a freshly washed baby, sort of baby powder and quite pleasant.

It does however have some dubious ingredients such as Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Panthenol, Dimethicone, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Disodium EDTA, Benzyl Benzoate, Isododecane, and others including fragrances. I do prefer products that are natural and environmentally friendly as well as not tested on animals but having bought this I was not going to let it go to waste.

I do have sensitive skin which s prone to itchy rashes and eczema hence looking for more natural products having said that when I used this I didn't have any skin issues at all. I can't ay I noticed any major improvement in my face skin but I always use good quality skin care products and I think th best I can hope for is that I stop things getting any worse and that my skin keeps eczea and rash free as well as looking healthy and feeling soft, smooth and springy.

This serum cost me around £12 when I bought it but I notice on line that it is no longer available and the new one is called Vitamin E Overnight Serum-In-Oil and for £16 you get 28 ml but this one comes with an eye dropper dispenser.

~#~#~#~#~#~ OTHER PRODUCTS IN THE VITAMIN E RANGE ~#~#~#~#~#~

The new Vitamin E Overnight Serum-In-Oil, Cool BB Cream, SPF 15 Moisture Lotion, Lip Care SPF 15, Body Lotion, Hand and Nail Treatment
Illuminating Moisture Cream, Eye Cream, Night Cream, Neck Gel, Cream Cleanser, Hydrating Toner, Hydrating Face Mist, Face Wash, Aqua boost Sorbet as well as a number of others as well.

#~#~#~#~#~ RECOMMENDED ? ~#~#~#~#~

I quite liked this serum but obviously buying it again is not an option. I have not tried the new product so can't say what I think of that. I have a number of other serums to use before I need to look for another but the price is a fair one for a quality effective product so I might buy the new version in future.

Thanks for reading.