The Boy Next Door (DVD)

Review of "The Boy Next Door (DVD)"

published 07/09/2016 | stacey2911
Member since : 23/10/2013
I'm Back after over a month of not having a laptop
Pro casting, plot, ending
Cons little predictable in places
Did you enjoy it?

Price: £2.99
Certificate: 18
Released: 2015
Running Time: 1hr 27mins

I first watched the boy next door whilst I was house sitting last month, I was in the middle of nowhere with nothing but fields surrounding me so I took advantage of their movie subscription and watched a lot of movies. I'd never heard of the boy next door but it kept being repeated on the TV whilst i was away so I sat down one evening with a glass of wine and watched it.

Claire, recently split with her husband lives with her son Kevin. One day when leaving the home to attend an appointment the garage door gets stuck and Noah comes to the rescue. Noah is a high school student who has just moved in with his grandfather to look after him, he attends the same school as Kevin and they become very good friends... Only Noah is more interested in Claire and things become very heated when she goes over to his house one evening to help him with his dinner when his grandfather is rushed to the hospital. The pair end up having sex which Noah filmed and photos of the event one day ended up all over Claire's Classroom. Noah becomes obsessed and possessive of Claire and even turns her son against her. He gets very jealous and secrets from his past are leaked when the vice principle Vicky who is also Claire's best friend does a check on him with his last school and learns exactly why he got kicked out. Things go from bad to worse but I won't say exactly what happens as I don't want to ruin it for anyone interested in watching it.

I was glued to this film, I loved it, I've seen it 4 times in the past 3 weeks. I got so annoyed with amazon for taking so long to deliver the DVD to me. At first I thought this was going to be a Rom-Com and was predicting what was about to happen but I couldn't be any more wrong. The ending is brilliant, I didn't expect it at all. The more I watched the more I couldn't look away. I think the 18 certificate is a bit high, I thought it should have been a 15, but there is strong violence and sex scenes within the film, it leaves nothing to the imagination that's for sure.

Casting
Jennifer Lopez as Claire Peterson
Claire feels vulnerable and makes a mistake by sleeping with Noah. She teaches English Literature; the classics which is what Noah knows all about and impresses her with his knowledge of authors and poets and even quotes works which most students wouldn't have even read.

Ryan Guzman as Noah Sandborn
Noah moves in with his grandfather, he's kicked out of his old school and his parents were killed. He's had a pretty tough time but that is no excuse for what he puts Claire and her family through.

Ian Nelson as Kevin Peterson
Kevin gets bullied by his class mates but Noah stands up for him and punches the bullies and they soon leave him alone. Kevin also gets a date with the girl he's been crushing on for a long time thanks to Noah.

John Corbett as Garrett Peterson
Kevins Dad. 9 months prior to the start of the film he cheated on Claire whilst on a 'business trip' but Claire still believes there is good inside him and isn't certain she's going to get a divorce.

Kristin Chenoweth as Vicky Lansing
Lexi Atkins as Allie Callahan
Hill Harper as Principal Edward Warren

The casting is excellent, I'm not usually a fan of Jennifer Lopez but in this movie she did extremely well. I really like the relationships between each character. I also like how as a viewer you are constantly changing your mind about Noah when we discover more and more about him.

Soundtrack
There are a fair few songs within the movie here are just a few...
As Long as you are mine ( Ft. Miakoda) - Yes Man
Just Like Rain - Lisbeth Scott
Automatic- Dinosaur Murals
My Garden - Kat Dahlia
Whispering - Alex Clare
The Touch- Welshly Arms
I always think a good soundtrack is important to a movie, it adds emotion and sets the mood for a scene. This film has a brilliant soundtrack

I would highly recommend this movie, it's brilliant from start to finish. This movie is a thriller, which is probably why I enjoyed it so much. The critics have been quite harsh on this movie but I disagree with them I really enjoyed it and think a lot of people who like thrillers will too. There are a few scenes in the film which are predictable for example you can tell there is attraction between Noah and Claire from the second they meet but you can't predict what will happen in the end which is what I like.

• jo-1976 published 27/09/2016
    Sounds really good!
  • rolandrat123 published 20/09/2016
    grt
  • armor567 published 19/09/2016
    VH

offers "The Boy Next Door (DVD)"