The Chambers Dictionary

The Chambers Dictionary

Review of "The Chambers Dictionary"

published 28/01/2002 | COOOEEE
Member since : 26/12/2001
Pro I can spell correctly again
Cons Price is high if you don't search around.

"Lurning too spell agin"

Why buy The Chambers Dictionary above all others. Well you see I am always being invited to join in with a game of scrabble with friends , either online or at home and as this particular dictionary is the officially reference source for the board game I knew it would be a good choice above others I had seen advertised..

As soon as I joined Ciao I realized I had forgotten how to spell. This was not just my brain cell dying; I had done hardly any writing for years and had simply forgotten how to spell. Come on now be honest we all use the spell checker. I saw the dictionary for sale on the Amazon web site and duly ordered it. My brother is a horror for picking up my spelling mistakes when I regularly chat to him on Instant Messaging. It's embarrasing as he is much younger than I am. I think I have now confused him totally as I chatted to him tonight whilst leafing through the dictionary. Not one spelling mistake. I didn't let him know that I had treated myself to a dictionary either, so I am feeling quite smug at the moment.

· The dictionary is very thick and comprises of 1985 pages. I am using the 2001 version. It is very nice to look at with a red background and blue overlay. Words on the cover in white and blue. Numbers in gold. It looks very professional.

· Apart from the obvious use of correct spellings and meanings the dictionary is full of other sections that are both interesting and useful.

· Some first names include
Fiona, Gaelic meaning fair.
Nathan means Gift of God
Pandora means every gift
Simon means either hearing or snub nosed.

· Some phrases and quotations although these are in Latin.
· The Greek alphabet.
· The Russian alphabet.
· Roman numerals.
· Books of the Bible.
· Plays of Shakespeare.
· Chemical Elements.
· Temperature conversion.
· International paper sizes.

There is also a detailed chart of pronunciation and this is referred to often at the bottom of each page.

A full explanation of the Abbreviations used in the dictionary is included.

I have the New edition and the last one was printed in 1999. I presume I will be buying the next updated version in approx 2003 as it is claimed that they collect over 500 new words and meanings every single month.

I attended college recently and saw that most of the class used this particular dictionary above all others. It does state on the back cover that the choice of the discerning user of English is the dictionary most used by academics and professional writers.

With over 1 million words in this book surely it really does have to be one of the best.

Amazon are currently selling this book for 29.75 reduced from 34.95 but I got mine much cheaper by searching the internet.

• mattydalton published 19/07/2010
    I only use the spell check to make sure I didn't hit a wrong key by mistake - oh so easy!
  • Autarkis published 19/05/2009
    hehe I rely on spell check - just think I have got lazy and know spell check will tell me when I have made a mistake. Great review :)
  • torr published 09/10/2008
    Great pics! x

offers "The Chambers Dictionary"

Product Information : The Chambers Dictionary