The Desperate Wife's Survival Plan - Alison Sherlock

The Desperate Wife's Survival Plan - Alison Sherlock

ISBN: 0099562375

Review of "The Desperate Wife's Survival Plan - Alison Sherlock"

published 22/08/2014 | cha97michelle
Member since : 12/12/2005
Back after a 6 month break - not quite sure how it was that long, but hoping to stay now I have more time again.
Good
Pro a very quick read, pleasant enough without being too dull.
Cons was a little predictable.
Would you read it again?
Story
Characters
Readability
How does it compare to similar books?

"How one woman reacts to life throwing her a wobbler"

I found this book in our local library in a section set up especially for the summer holidays. It was next to the childrens section and labelled quick picks for mums. I guess the purpose was for mums to have a selection of books they could grab while keeping one eye on the kids, but they were all chick lit type books designed for a quick read.

This particular book I picked purely due to the cover. I liked the chaotic scene showing a woman multi-tasking by cooking while talking on a phone. The title made it sound as though there might be some humour there.

When I started reading the book, my first impression was it was full of very short and to the point chapters, and it proved to be a quick read. I read it all in one blissful child free day.

The story features a strong group of 4 friends who each seem to have a really good life from the outside but there are some cracks under the surface.

Charley is a rich housewife whos biggest problem seems to be how to keep her hair straight and what to buy for dinner. However, the rug is pulled from under her when her husband manages to make them bankrupt when his business fails. Most of the book revolves around how she copes with all the changes in her life as her luxuries are all taken away from her.

Julie is a single mum of a grown up son who is still causing her aggro. From the money she keeps giving him, to the puppy he just randomly brings her.

Samantha is a girl who is quite far removed from ordinary life. Her life revolves around shopping trips and which man she is going to date next. How she is friends with the other women is really beyond my comprehension as she is not really a likeable character. A good time friend.

Finally, Caroline is a mum of one, trying her best to be a perfect parent. Struggling to juggle schedules to prepare her daughter for starting primary school, there is something fascinating but also horrifying to this Stepford mum and housewife.

The group are a strange combination, but there is a strong friendship that underpins the plot to this story. I felt the story was a bit clichéd and I found myself being reminded strongly of a similar rags to riches story I read last year. The resemblance was fleeting though, and I did enjoy seeing how Charley gets her life back to something resembling normal in the face of all adversity. Its a story of friendship, family, and supporting each other.

There is nothing in the plot which blew me away - but I found myself enjoying this story and wanting to find out what happened next.

It ended up being a good mum pick as it was something you could read a couple of chapters of while the kids were doing something else. The plot is simple enough to be able to follow it while one ear is listening out for the kids.

A fun and flirty read for the summer.

• sparkleychel published 10/12/2014