The Desperate Wife's Survival Plan - Alison Sherlock

The Desperate Wife's Survival Plan - Alison Sherlock

ISBN: 0099562375

Review of "The Desperate Wife's Survival Plan - Alison Sherlock"

published 14/11/2017 | jules.34
Member since : 05/03/2006
Always feel that I am at work!! Out of work, though, I spend lots of time with my teenage son, reading and crafting!
Pro A great read and the characters seem human
Cons A bit contradictory and predictable
Would you read it again?
Story
Characters
Readability
How does it compare to similar books?

"The Desperate Wife's Survival Plan"

I got this book from my local library - I had liked the look of it as it looked like the chick lit books that I like to read and I liked the look of the blurb on the back. I am up to my limit of library books and had it sitting in my pile of books for a while before I picked it up to read it. Once I picked it up though, it did not take me long to get through it - I started it on Friday and finished it today, and I am not normally that quick getting through a book.

This book begins with the main character, Charley, who is at the hair dressers for one of her bi-weekly appointments. Her card declines in the machine and her life begins to unravel. Her and her husband Steve have been doing really well with their businesses and she has never had to think about money, but now their businesses are going bust and she is having to change her way of living. To top it all, she finds her husband has been unfaithful so her whole life changes.

Charley has a group of friends - there are four of them in their circle of friends; Charley, Julie, Samantha and Caroline. They support each other through things, although their friendships have to endure some hard times (mainly with things going on with Samantha) but mainly the girls do help and support each other. Since Charlotte's fall into hard times, the girls seem to have got closer.

I love how the way that the author has written the characters - none of them are perfect, even Charley to begin with was very self absorbed and caught up with her material lifestyle. Julie is downtrodden and used by her son, she does not know how to say no to him; Samantha is caught up in her own little world with her new boyfriend and Caroline is trying to make her child perfect without letting her be a child. She has made them likeable - well most of them - but has given them flaws too, so has made them human.

Part of the book is quite predictable - from early in the book it brings Charleys love of ice cream making into the story so you know this is going to feature in her life somewhere. Her marriage break up is very real - she goes through all the emotions that goes with a marriage break up. She does bring herself up though and comes out stronger, and with her friendships stronger.

I actually liked Charley, I didn't think that I would at the start of the book. I also liked Julie and Caroline. I wasn't fond of Samantha but maybe she just needed pitied.

There were parts of the book that contradicted itself though - such as when Samantha said that she did not have female friends, and even her close group of friends sometimes annoyed her. Other than her group of friends, she said that she did not have female friends and that females did not trust her, but later in the book she was on a girls' holiday to Ibiza with a different group of friends.

I did really enjoy this book though and it did not take me long to get through it, just a few days. I would definitely recommend it for a read. I got my copy from my local library, where you can try too - failing that, you could try ebay or amazon.

• Soho_Black published 20/11/2017