Review of "The Elite - Kiera Cass"

published 09/09/2013 | dragon747
Member since : 29/08/2013
I'm an avid reader and also post reviews over on Amazon, Goodreads and my Book Blog.
Pro great read and sequel
Cons none
Would you read it again?
Story
Characters
Readability
How does it compare to similar books?

"The Elite"

The Elite is the second book in Kiera Cass’ amazing Selection series and grips you with the same burning ‘need to know’ that I loved about the first one. Needless to say, I devoured the book within a day and I’m now eagerly awaiting the next instalment.

Set in a dystopian world where life is dictated by a strict caste system, The Selection is an event/TV show that has the power to change the fate of one girl. 35 girls were chosen from across the country to compete for the ultimate prize of becoming Prince Maxon’s chosen bride. Now, more than halfway into the competition, only six remain.

But despite being part of the final six, America Singer is still uncertain of where her heart truly lies. She never planned on falling in love with the Prince, and never imagined that the Prince would share her feelings. But love is never straight forward when a crown is involved… and with Aspen, Americas first love now stationed as a Guard within the palace, she finds herself torn between the two men. Yet her real concern is, is she Princess material? Can she rule a country? And will Maxon wait for her decision or will his heart stray to another? And what dark secrets is he hiding?

As much as I enjoyed this book, there were times when I really wanted to shake America over her indecisiveness. Especially in regards to her feelings over Maxon and Aspen.

Yet despite the love-triangle, I actually like both men equally, although I loved the darker aspects of Maxon that emerged in this book. It helped give his character much more depth and through it, we got to know several characters such as Celeste and the King much better.

Otherwise the plot moves smoothly and for the first time the reader begins to learn the history of the world and how the government was formed. While the rebels remain an elusive kind of bad guy, we also get to see new villains emerging and I look forward to seeing what will happen next. At the moment the country is on the brink of revolution and I’m interested to discover what part America will play in all of this. Will she help abolish the caste system? Will she become Queen? Which man will she choose?

The series will hopefully conclude next year with The One which is set to be published in early 2014. So overall I thought The Elite was a good book and an easy read, and a nice follow on from The Selection. 4 Stars!