Review of "The Endless River - Pink Floyd"

published 11/11/2014 | OliviuNeagu
Member since : 12/10/2014
Exams coming up next, sorry for my absence.
Good
Pro Some of the tunes are even catchy, with top notch quality and very nostalgic notes.
Cons Some tracks are weaker than others, feels made for commercial reasons.
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"It has been quite the journey."

The Endless River - Pink Floyd

The Endless River - Pink Floyd

Introduction

The Endless River is the fifteenth and final studio album by British progressive rock band Pink Floyd. Now if you lived under a rock for the last... century, Pink Floyd were a English rock band formed in London in 1965 by students Syd Barrett, Nick Mason, Roger Waters, and Richard Wright. They achieved international acclaim with their progressive and psychedelic music, with those philosophical lyrics and elaborate live shows they became one of the giants of music and one of the most influential groups in the history of popular music.

The Endless River

Sadly, this is the final studio album by Pink Floyd. This is the final one the second time around... For the creation of " The Endless River " the band reunited once again after a 20 years break. It was released by Parlophone and Columbia Records in Friday-release countries on 7 November 2014 and in the United Kingdom and United States on 10 November 2014. The album is mostly comprises instrumental and ambient music and was recorded and created in the entire history of the band.
Backround

It has a somewhat of a hidden message. Not the usual hidden message of those intricate lyrics we all know and love, but it's mainly a tribute to Richard Wright. Roger Waters whom was one of the founding members of the band was in terrible relationships with the other members. In 1985 he departured and failed the attempt to dissolve the band. Keyboardist Richard Wright had even been fired by Waters during the recording of The Wall (1979), but was invited back by Gilmour and Mason.
The albums is just that, a tribute to Richard Wright, one of the band's founder members, who died in 2008.

Released : 7 November 2014

Recorded : 1968, January–December 1993 and 2013–2014

Total Length : 52:47

Producers : David Gilmour, Phil Manzanera, Youth and Andy Jackson

Artists : David Gilmour – guitars, vocals, keyboards, piano
Nick Mason – drums, percussions
Richard Wright – Hammond organ, Farfisa organ, pipe organ, piano

The album also features a handful of other musicians, the most noted on the tracks are :

Guy Pratt – bass guitar.
Bob Ezrin – bass guitar, additional keyboards .
Andy Jackson - bass guitar, effects.
Gilad Atzmon – tenor saxophone.

Tracks

Eyes To Pearls 1:51
Surfacing 2:46
Louder Than Words 6:32

Total length: 14:47

It also features a Deluxe Edition.

Reception

At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album has an average score of 59. Cameron Cooper of The Music gave the album three and a half out of five, The Guardian gave the album three out of five. David Fricke (Rolling Stones) gave The Endless River three and a half out of five. All in all the album has received what you can only describe as mixed reviews from music critics

My Opinion

Let me be clear on something you guys probably know, I am far from qualified to post an in depth review of the album, all I can base my score on is whether I enjoy listening to it or not. The album is essential four pieces of music, made up of smaller parts. Each side is really enjoyable in their own right.
I am quite the Pink Floyd loyalist, sure I am young and this belongs in a different era, nonetheless I have all of their albums, but when I heard the news that Floyd was releasing a new album, I sensed it a bit late in the game to have very high expectations for it. The last "The Best of Pink Floyd: A Foot in the Door" I did enjoyed, and so it was only natural that I wanted to hear the last sounds they will ever produce. It packs a great deal into 53 minutes, well first because some of the tracks are barely more than a minute and a half long, but it is a constant mood change and allows you to listen to it while doing chores and you can leave it on repeat without it being annoying. It is a successful mix between Jazz, Soft Rock and Progressive Rock with smooth,vibrant and familar scapes echoing from the past. This of course is the good, a album with small hints of the Pink Floyd from the 70s, 80s, etc.

The bad though knows no names or brands, Pink Floyd is no exception. I do enjoy it and do know the story behind it, why it was made and were the sounds originated. This being said there is a inability to communicate, it doesn't "say anything" or "go anywhere", I do understand the point and the "endless" part, maybe this is what it supossed to be... But somehow I do not feel it. Because of the history behind the album and the content, you will feel like it's more relevant for its context in the band’s history than the music. It's and effective 53-minute trip, but it has some weak tracks, that after a while on repeat you will want them to pass faster. The really noticeable track is "Louder than Words" , mainly because it's the only proper vocal one. This time, it really feels like they know it's farwell, but it's not a BANG, much more like a soft, bittersweet elegy. The cover also looks like "Life Of Pi". Somehow, I do not think this is the last I will hear from Pink Floyd.

No offense, but Pink Floyd are great, and greatness should not fade away.

Buy from

From Amazon.uk for £8.99. ( I recommend it, it's not expensive and you will own a piece of musical history rather than download it )
If you own an Apple device you can purchase it on iTunes for 19.99 $. (It would make no sense though.)

• wazza115 published 07/01/2015
    vh
  • DodoRabbit published 19/11/2014
    This is a good review, I am however rating it an E as it does have good premise. I know you've been working off an iPhone for the past few weeks or so and it's not that great (when my laptop broke I didn't even have a phone as a family member thought it funny to take it and drop it whenever I caught them) because you don't see it as you would on a laptop. I could give you a hand tidying it up a little, it's a simple fix really- keep it up!
  • CelticSoulSister published 17/11/2014
    Excellent review. No doubt I'll get around to listening to this album one day as I am a Floyd fan, although largely prefer their very early stuff with Syd.