Review of "The Endless River - Pink Floyd"

published 12/11/2014 | CoffeeQueen68
Member since : 08/01/2014
Pro Great album with some superb tracks on it.
Cons None.
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"The river that never ends"

The Endless River - Pink Floyd

The Endless River - Pink Floyd

Introduction

'The Endless River' by Pink Floyd is their latest and, sadly, their last album. I clearly remember listening to Pink Floyd in the 70's and 80's. I have fond memories in my teenage years of them when I used to reside in smoke filled clubs with my then boyfriend till the small wee hours. (Normally dawn!)

Price and Packaging

This CD has a picture of a man standing in a boat with an oar sailing on a cloud in a wide open space. It can be purchased from Amazon for £8.99 with free P & P or directly the Pink Floyd website.

The Tracks

This album is predominantly an instrumental album, and has 18 tracks on it.
  • Released: November 2014
  • Label: Parlophone, Columbia
Side one

Things left Unsaid (4.24)
As you would expect with Pink Floyd, this first track starts off in a very psychedelic manner. What I like about this track is the haunting sound, and the mellow sound of the instruments.

It's What We Do (6:21)
Again, this track is instrumental. What I like about this track is the background of the drums, and the bass. The guitar work is second to none. And I love the beautifully played drums and guitar together, which gives this song a rock feel, but still mellow.

Ebb And Flow (1.50)
This song starts off with a piano and the sound of the drums joins in a few seconds later. This is quite an upbeat instrumental. Although this isn't as haunting as the first song, I still feel this song sounds nice and chilled out.
Side two

Sum (4:49)
This track starts off quite slow, then the drums make an entrance. I like the beat to this track, and I feel it has a good tempo to it.

Skins (2:37)
This is, again, an instrumental track with mainly the drums in the foreground of this song. This is quite an upbeat track. To be honest, this is not one of my favourites on the album, but it does have a good beat to it.

Unsung (1:06)
I feel this track has a ghostly haunting feel to it. The opening of the track has a high pitched sound to it. Quite an upbeat song which has a catchy feel to it.

Anisina (3:15)
Personally, this is one of my favourites on the album. The main instrument is the piano. There is also a saxaphone which I love the sound of. This is quite a slow track but has a nice tempo to it, and a good feel.

Side three

The Lost Art Of Conversation (1:43)
This track slows down and this I find to be a mellow, relaxing instrumental with the guitar strings doing the talking. I really like this track.

On Noodle Street (1:42)
I like the title of this song! This again is a soft, mellow track with the drums and guitar. There is a nice beat to this song and a soft, relaxing song.

Night Light (1:42)
This is a beautiful track. This is again a slow mellow track and a soft instrumental with the guitar playing and soft music in the background. This does have a psychedelic feel to it.

Allons-y (1) (1:56)
This is a fast paced track with a good beat to it. It is quite an uplifting song and has a good rhythm to it, with the sound of the guitars and drums.

Autumn '68 (1:35)
This track start off with the sounding of an organ playing, and sounds to have a very religous element to it. This is certainly different, and nothing I have ever heard before. I feel this is a lovely song though and I personally like this song.

Allons-y (2) 1:35)_
_Talkin' Hawkin' (3:25)_
Side four
  • Calling (3:38)
  • Eyes To Pearls (1:51)
  • Surfacing (2:46)
  • Louder Than Words (6:32)

This album also comes with a bonus edition.

My Thoughts

On a personal level, I do like this album and it's a shame this will be their very last one, but I'm glad I got it. It's a lovely album and reminds me what how Pink Floyd were like 'back in the day.' If you are a fan of Pink Floyd, I would highly recommend this album.

www.pinkfloyd.com

• DodoRabbit published 21/12/2014
    Well reviewed, not sure about this one though!
  • jb0077 published 19/12/2014
    Excellent review, merry christmas, E.
  • wazza115 published 12/12/2014