The Fabulous Bakin' Boys King Lemon Cupcakes

The Fabulous Bakin' Boys King Lemon Cupcakes

Review of "The Fabulous Bakin' Boys King Lemon Cupcakes"

published 15/01/2010 | ms19
Member since : 02/03/2002
Rate me and il try to rate you back :-) x
Good
Pro nice cake
Cons too sweet icing
Smell
Product Quality

"Sweet Treats"

I am not one for having a sweet tooth but every so often while on my weekly food shop, there is usually something sweet that will catch my eye. This week I did my food shop at Sainsbury's which I never go to but I did actually find a bargain which this week was the Bakin' Boys Lemon Cupcakes. They were on offer and I do like their cakes and other sweet treats so decided to pick up a pack as I have tried the assorted pack before.

The Bakin' Boys Company has now been going for 11 years, started by Gary Frank an ex-Wall St trader who had started the Delicious Donut Company. In 1990 the doughnut trade didn't really take off but Andrew and Sara Staples a couple arrived with their array of cakes, muffins, flapjacks and they were soon sold under the name Bake House Cakes in 1994. Then from here on the name changed and ever since they have been selling their cakes.

The packaging for the lemon cupcakes is quite noticeable. It comes in a square box with a picture of the cake on the front. The company logo is on the right and there is a circle cut out on the front so you can see through to the actual cakes. Included in the pack I purchased were 4 cakes. The box states there are no artificial colours or hydrogenated fats and that they are made with real lemon zest as well as being bakes in a nut free zone.

The nice thing with these cakes is that they are individually wrapped unlike most company's cakes so they can be taken for lunches or snacks and it doesn't mean you have to worry about the box being open to keep cakes fresh.

Now for the nutritional information of each cake. Each 54g cake is 230 calories which is high but I didn't expect any less. There is 11.3g of fat and 0.3g of fibre as well as 18.4 of sugars which aren't the healthiest snacks but it is a nice treat every so often. The cakes also contain gluten, milk products, egg and soya as well for allergy reasons.

The cakes are just like a normal cupcake in appearance, as I stated before individually wrapped in cellophane. Once opened, they have a nice lemon scent to them and they are protected in a paper case which is easily peeled off. The cakes are very soft, fluffy sponge which is easy to bite into and the icing is also very melt in your mouth making a very soft cake snack. I find even though these cakes taste light they do seem to be quite filling after having just one. However, by looking at the calorie content this seems quite self explanatory really.

I usually only have one of these at a time, the lemon taste is nice and is different for a cupcake flavour but I did find it quite sweet and maybe too much so that I would rather just have normal icing. It is quite heavy tasting but the cake itself is very nice just the right balance.

I have tried the other Bakin' Boys cakes before and they all have the icing which is very heavy tasting but I suppose it is just their style. If you like a snack and want something really sweet then these will definitely be the option for you. They come in other flavours, they do chocolate cupcakes as well as having an assorted set if you don't want to stick to just the one flavour.

I purchased my cupcakes in Sainsbury's as I stated previously and got them on a half price offer for a bargain of 64p I think it was, so I couldn't resist. On normal retail price, they cost about £1.25 I would guess. They are available at Tesco and Sainsbury's from what I have seen but it depends as not all of the branches stock the Bakin' Boys products.

If you want more information on the Bakin' Boys products, then you can head on over to their official website at http://www.bakinboys.co.uk/Bakin-Home.html . The website has information about the company history and how they formed as well as where you can buy the products, and more information on the cakes.

• paulpry118 published 24/01/2010
    I like lemon cakes so I might give these a try
  • RICHADA published 17/01/2010
    Unfortunately, I'm spoilt by a wife who loves to bake, so this isn't a product that features in our shopping! A very good review though. Richard.
  • hillhead published 16/01/2010
    Great review. They are lovely.