The Fisherman's Cottage, Reading

The Fisherman's Cottage, Reading

Spanish Restaurant - Address: Canal Way, Reading RG1 3HJ

Review of "The Fisherman's Cottage, Reading"

published 14/03/2017 | 87degrees
Member since : 17/11/2005
Pro excellent food, quiet, walking distance of the town centre, friendly staff, on a pokestop
Cons not massive amounts of parking
Standard of Menu
Atmosphere
Standard of Service
Cleanliness

"Quiet and delicious"

The Fisherman's Cottage is a small pub and restaurant on the Kennet and Avon Canal, just a short walk from the centre of Reading. From the outside, it's a pleasant, white building with a couple of picnic tables. A footpath is all that separates the pub from the canal.

Inside, it's just as pleasant, with a conservatory area that makes the main room bright and airy - but with semi-transparent blinds over the ceiling windows to prevent it from being blinding. I went there on a Saturday at about noon and was surprised how quiet it was. There were perhaps three other tables occupied when we arrived and maybe two more groups of people came in while we were eating. I can't speak for it at other times, but for a Saturday lunch it was very calm with minimal background noise. I heard someone ask about the rugby and he was told that the match would be shown later, so it's possible it gets louder at other times.

In terms of food, the menu feels distinctly Spanish. There are a range of options for tapas, options for paella as a main, and some other Spanish main courses. There were a trio of burger options if you prefer, and a few kids menu items, but there was a definite theme to the menu. The tapas dishes could also be ordered as starters.

For my meal, I had the calamari starter/tapas dish, beef empanadas, and a slice of cheesecake, all of which was cooked onsite.

The calamari was probably the best I've ever had. There was a light coating of batter that was nicely crisp without it being too greasy. I don't know what seasoning they used, but I strongly suspect garlic played a part, and it came with a wedge of lemon to squeeze over. I'm not sure how to describe this dish other than to say it was absolutely delicious.

The empanadas were fantastic as well. I was a little hesitant because the menu described them as "spicy beef" and I'm not a big fan of hot food. I asked the guy at the bar when I placed my order and he said they were medium spice, so I decided to risk it. When they actually arrived, I would have classed them as mild, which was actually perfect for me (I don't know if the barman told the chef to leave out some chillis or if that was the normal level of spice). They were superbly done, with perfectly crisp pasty and a good stuffing of meat. They came with salad and fries, as well as pots of homemade tomato sauce and garlic sauce. Highly recommended.

After the stunning first two courses, I was looking forward to something equally special for dessert and the cheesecake disappointed me by being merely good. It was a baked vanilla cheesecake that I probably would have been perfectly happy with somewhere else, but it wasn't as amazingly good as the other two courses. I should have stuck with the Spanish theme and gone for the churros!

As well as the lunch menu that I had, it's worth noting that they also do a brunch from 10am on weekends, with some more Spanish-inspired recipes. There were also signs up about a Sunday roast.

I'm not a drinker myself, so I stuck to the diet coke with my meal, but there were signs up around the bar talking about craft ales and ciders. There were signs about guest beers and an ale of the week. If you do like your beer, you can probably get a nice selection.

As far as the staff were concerned, they were very friendly. Like most pubs, you place your food order at the bar and then they bring it out. The guys on duty at the bar were friendly and the service was prompt for the food. I have absolutely no complaints about the people working there. They answered my questions about the food very attentively.

One other bonus about this pub, for those who play Pokemon Go, is that the pub is on a Pokestop. If you play this game, you can eat your lunch and collect your items at the same time.

In terms of getting to the pub, it's right by the footpath on the canal and I definitely think it's a place you're intended to walk to. If you head east out of Reading town centre along the canal path, you'll reach the pub in five or ten minutes depending on how fast you walk, and it's along a flat, well-maintained path. The back of the pub is on Orts Road, tucked behind Reading College. There is a little bit of room to park around the back, but not massive amounts. If the pub is as quiet as it was when I was there, you'd be fine, but there's not a huge amount of space for people to drive to it.

All in all, definitely recommended for a quiet, weekend lunch if you're in Reading.

• euphie published 17/03/2017