Review of "The Forest (DVD)"

published 17/07/2017 | Sparky43352
Member since : 12/10/2015
Good
Pro good story, descent soundtrack and special effects
Cons insensitive in my opinion, not very scary
Did you enjoy it?

Run time: 1 hr 35 minutes
Genre: Horror
Year of Release: 2016

Story

When her twin sister goes missing in Japan, Sara is determined to find out what happened to her. Her quest leads her to the legendary Aokigahara Forest, also known as the suicide forest, in Japan at Mount Fuji. She decides to journey through the forest with her guide Aiden and many ghosts haunting the forest await her.
Cast

Ratings
IMDb: 4.8/10
The Guardian: 2/5
Rotten Tomatoes: 10%

Trailer: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjZgOWdlJHVAhXqLMAKHQ7bBt4QyCkIJjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DBDs_DYow7xA&usg=AFQjCNGattEmInznALFNuab1sc8o-L72eA

My Opinion

I personally didn't enjoy this movie that much. I was very interested to see their ideas especially because the suicide forest is a real place but then I thought it was quite insensitive. It showed the people who committed suicide in the forest and portrayed them as horrible demons and monsters when in fact that most definitely is not the case at all. I may be thinking too far into things but I just thought they could have made it scary without portraying the victims as monsters. I thought the concept was quite smart though.

The characters were good, some made the iconic stupid decisions that many characters make in horror movies which you'll see for yourself if you watch it. Natalie Dormer done a good job but was kind of the only person who stood out to me.

The make up was good and there were some good jumpscares so in a way I suppose they did use their special effects effectively which was quite good. The music was eery in the right places and perfectly timed which was another thing that had a huge impact on my opinion of the film because it set the tone perfectly.

You can buy the movie for £2.20 from amazon (including delivery) which is a good price and it is also on Netflix.

It was quite unmemorable, the only reason I would probably remember it is because it's based on a real historic forest and I haven't seen a lot of horrors based on true events.

Thank you for reading my review. Please don't forget to rate and comment, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• IzzyS published 20/07/2017
    Helpful review, although a bit more detail would be nice.
  • kiss_me2070 published 18/07/2017