The Forgotten (DVD)

The Forgotten (DVD)

Review of "The Forgotten (DVD)"

published 18/11/2012 | lj1989
Member since : 01/03/2010
I'm back once more. Life is completely different for me now! More updates to follow :)
Pro Plot, cast
Cons None
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"Easy to forget?"

Since becoming ill myself last year my interest in psychology and how and why the brain works the way it does has increased substantially. Therefore, when browsing Netflix the other day unsure of what to watch when I saw this I knew it was definitely a film I would like to see. As I watched this on Netflix this is a film only review.

Plot

Telly is a woman in her 30s. We meet her when she is getting ready to leave her house. She is on her way to an appointment which we learn is infact an appointment with a psychologist. In the session Telly is talking about losing her son but it is obvious that the psychologist is on edge, almost like he isn't really agreeing with what she is saying. The psychologist and Telly seem to get along ok but you can see she is frustrated by his lack of understanding.

Later she gets home and decides she will cook a meal for her and her husband. However, she is deeply saddened when she goes into her sons room to see that the picture she had displayed of the three of them is gone. She goes through the roof shouting and screaming at her husband who insists he doesn't have a clue what she is talking about. She storms out and goes to the park, drowned with memories of her son. It is here that she bumps into a fellow parent but he doesn't seem to remember her. She knew him well but he is confused by her friendliness and insists he doesn't know her. What is going on?

Opinion

The plot of this film is extremely captivating. By introducing us to Telly first it allows us as the audience to really feel as though we know her well and also because hers is the first opinion that we see it made me quite sure that she was telling the truth or at least what she thought was the truth. From first hand experience I know how easy it is for imagination and reality to blur into one - this can be frustrating but more than anything it is very scary. Therefore I really felt for Telly as I knew she was likely to be extremely confused and scared and it was clear that nobody else seemed to remember what she did.

I thought the plot flowed well and it really did leave me guessing right until the end as I was left unsure of whether Telly really did have a son, whether he died how she claims and if he did, why everyone else seemed to be telling her it wasn't true. The plot reminded me a little of the book Before I go to sleep by S.J.Watson which I found to be a compelling read (please check out my review on it if interested) and I was absolutely engrossed in the plot, desperate to see if Telly would ever discover the truth.

The character of Telly is played by Julianne Moore. Of course she is a high class actress and I really enjoyed watching her in this film. She adapted to the role of the worried mother extremely well but also manages to portray an eccentric woman who makes it easy to see why some people cannot believe her story.

The plot does jump back and forth a bit making it a little confusing as I found myself unsure what I believed to be honest. This really helped to captivate my attention as I was just desperate to find out who was telling the truth and why there were so many different versions of what has happened, if anything.

The film did an absolutely superb job of retaining my attention throughout and I thought it was the perfect length. Everything was wrapped up completely at the end but I really was left guessing right until the end which I found very exciting and tense.

Additional Information

The film was released in 2004.
It is rated a 12A.
It runs for 91 minutes.
It was directed by Joseph Ruben.
It stars Julianne Moore and Dominic West.

Summary

A captivating psychological thriller that is bound to have you on the edge of your seat.

• jo-1976 published 13/09/2017
    Vh
  • catsholiday published 18/11/2012
    This one does appeal to me too.
  • MsTricia published 18/11/2012
    This sounds quite captivating - I studied Psychologh at A Level and loved it. Well reviewed

Product Information : The Forgotten (DVD)

Until the very last moments of Joseph Ruben's spooky suspense thriller, viewers will question who's who in the us-versus-them conundrum. We have but one hint: 'It's not about the children'. But as local police, the feds, and other unknowns follow Telly (Julianne Moore), a young mother who refuses to forget the death of her 9-year-old son Sam, it's clear that the children are a hot-button issue. While it's fishy enough that nobody--not even Telly's own husband (Anthony Edwards)--seems to remember Sam, and the plane crash she claims killed him was never reported in the newspapers, it's a question of whose story to believe. And Moore, the frantic mother with madness flickering in her eyes, may simply be delusional, or so her shrink (Gary Sinise) says. But when she finds another grieving parent, Ash (Dominic West), whose daughter died in the same accident, she now has a partner in conspiracy theory. Together, Ash and Telly flee through the damp alleyways beneath the Brooklyn Bridge where steam escapes from potholes and police searchlights penetrate the gothic fog. Somebody knows something about the children, and 'they' want Ash and Telly to forget. THE FORGOTTEN springs into an action-adventure race for the truth, with surprising special effects, exciting jolts, and bird's-eye camera shots on ominous geometric patterns in the urban landscape keeping this mystery in fifth gear.

Listed on Ciao since: 11/10/2004