The Girls From Liberty X Toned (DVD)

The Girls From Liberty X Toned (DVD)

Review of "The Girls From Liberty X Toned (DVD)"

published 09/06/2007 | piggypine
Member since : 06/02/2007
Being kept busy by 4 kids and the summer holidays!
Pro Good cool down routine
Cons Main workout, unenthusiastic hosts, no real toning excercises..............
Did you enjoy it?
Educational Value
How good is the content?
How good are the presenters?

"Make an X-it before this workout begins!"

Toned

Toned

Every year my sister takes part in the "Race for life" in aid of cancer research, she was due to take part this year with a friend but unfortunately the friend was unable to make it at the very last minute. I was somehow convinced to take part with less than 24 hours before the race was due to take place, we walked the 5k course and I managed far better than anyone expected I even suffered less after effects than my sister (Which I was secretly delighted with!) Back at home and relaxing in the back garden my sister caught me with a slightly presumptous comment "when we do it again next year we can run" run, I hadn't though about walking it again and here she was telling me we were going to run! So knowing the likelyhood that i'd be taking part again I knew my fitness would have to improve, enter- Toned

Toned-
Toned is a fitness DVD featuring the girls from Liberty X, a pop group (who recently split up) famed for their funky dance numbers and hits like "Just a little", "Aint nobody" and "Jumpin"

The girls are led by choreographer Kardy Laguda and the dvd is set in the evening on a gorgeous beach, waves crashing on the shore in the background. Dressed in toned down work out gear (no flasy lycra here thankfully) the 4 take us through a 10 minute warm up, 30 minute work out and 10 minute cool down.

The warm up is set at a slow funky pace, gradually breaking you into the rountine with a variety of stretches and steps. You are introduced to general step that you canreturn to throughout the DVD should you lose place in the routines.

The main work out starts with Kardy showing you at a slow pace what he called "the monkey" basically a move where you step from side to side thrusting your arms upwards and then downwards. Once this is repeated 4 times at slow pace he challenges you to do it a double time. The main workout progresses like that adding a new set of moves each time and then combining it with the previous one/ones at double pace.

The warm down is a 10 minute series of stretches, lunges and side steps all set to a slightly more relaxed but still funky backing track.

My experience-
I bought the DVD hoping for a challenging dance workout that would indeed tone my muscles, being Liberty X i'd hoped also for some of their own tracks as I quite liked some of their more funky numbers. Sadly I was dissapointed, the warm up didn't even see me breaking into a sweat and I certainly didn't feel like my muscles were ready for a work out.

The main work out was challenging in respect to trying to remember which move went where, I've some previous dance experience but even I found getting my arms to move in the right directions while my legs did what they were meant to do, a bit tricky. Still even after persevering and getting the routine correct I didn't feel like it was a proper workout, I understand that it is dance based but none of the moves really felt like they were exercising my muscles. It felt more like a memory and co-ordination challenge, which while quite funny wasn't what I was looking for in the DVD. There is no real ab workout, nothing to tone or strengthen the arms, the legs get a bit of a work out but more from the basic side step routine which runs throughout.

The cool down was probably the best bit about the DVD, the stretches actually made my muscles work and they were balanced by a more relaxing side step routine which helped you relax between stretches. Even this section though has some negatives as I felt some of the stretches went on longer than needed.

The girls had little enthusiasm for the work out despite Kardys best efforts to encourage them. At points they looked even bored which is hardly going to encourage those following them at home. Thankfully, in some ways, there was little interruption from them or cheesyness meaning you weren't distracted from what moves Kardy was showing you but the poor guy had to work too hard to keep it interesting.

The soundtrack was a real let down, while it was quite funky it was also quite mellow, appropriate for a stroll on the beach at midnight maybe but not for a dance based work out. It certainly wasn't featuring any of their popular tracks that i'd hoped for.

I was really dissapointed by the workout, the only challenge in a fitness sense was during the cool down and I certainly don't feel like my fitness or muscle tone will improve by doing the main work out. There is no way on earth you are going to get "toned" with this DVD rather you'll have better co-ordination with your arms and legs. I can dance for 10 minutes to the "Boogie Beebies" on kids channel "Cbeebies" and fell better worked out than I do after this DVD, even 5 minutes chasing my toddlers around is more exhausting than this.

I can't recommend this to anyone seriously hoping to improve their fitness, it's not even fun or entertaining. Fortunately I did only pay £3 for it, I guess I should have guessed from the price how poor it really was. If you're interested it's widely available online and from about £2 not including postage but i'd really consider another workout DVD, save your money!

• xdonzx published 02/09/2007
    Great review.I've got this video and agree with you it's sooo boring.I don't know how it ends because I've never watched it to the end x
  • Craigshadow12 published 26/07/2007
    Great review as allways :D, Craig ♥
  • pumfster published 22/06/2007
    Great review. Shame it wasn't much good. I saw them live a few years ago and they were fantastic.