The Greedy Buddha, London

The Greedy Buddha, London

Indian Restaurant - Address: 144 Wandsworth Bridge Road, Fulham, London, SW6 2UH

Review of "The Greedy Buddha, London"

published 29/03/2016 | catsholiday
Member since : 03/03/2003
Reviews : 1960
Family and days of childminding now keeping me busy but I keep on rating more than writing. Thank you anyone who is kind enough to read then rate my reviews, especially those Es.
Pro Fantastic food and service
Cons Not really wheelchair friendly
Standard of Menu
Atmosphere
Standard of Service
Cleanliness

"Eating with the Greedy Buddha"

THE GREEDY BUDDHA

144 Wandsworth Bridge Road,
Fulham, London,
SW6 2UH.
020 7751 3311/ 020 7371 0166
www.thegreedybuddha.com

This is a restaurant not far from where my daughter lives and in the last couple of months I have been there twice. They visit quite often and were keen to take us there. They treated me to a meal here when I was down there decorating their flat and the second time my husband came too and we treated them as it was my daughter’s birthday and she had just got a new job.

GETTING THERE

We walked from Wandsworth across the bridge but if you are coming from further afield then there nearest Train is Fulham Broadway Station, then 15 mins walk or take bus 295 or 28 and get off at Sands End.

OPENING TIMES

For the restaurant:
Sun - Thurs: 6pm-1030PM
Fri - Sat: 6pm-11.30PM

They also do a takeaway service and home delivery and that is available Mon - Sun: 6PM - 10pm

Delivery is free within a 2 mile radius and the average delivery time 40-50 minutes as everything is made fresh.

FAMOUS VISITORS TO THE GREEDY BUDDHA

On their menu and website is this lovely quote from Joanna Lumley who is of course a loyal supporter of the Nepalese and especially the Ghurkhas.
“"For all The Greedy Buddha - Namaste and thank you a thousand times for your kindness, generosity and delicious food, with love from a proud daughter of Nepal"

OUR EXPERIENCE

This is not a big restaurant . On the ground floor there are about six or seven tables and then downstairs there are more but I didn’t go down there just glimpsed the tables as I went to the loo.

The toilets were clean and did the job, nothing fancy and quite cosy just down a few steps near the door to the kitchen.

I would say that the entire restaurant could be challenging in a wheelchair but they may have other facilities available. the front door is narror and you do kind of squeeze into the place.

There is an outside seating area, very small but it was not that kind of weather when we went and no one was sitting out there!

The décor is not flash at all, quite humble in fact. There are some photos of sights in Nepal and of course one with Joanna Lumley. A huge fish tank is along one wall which is quite nice to watch but they won’t win any prizes for the décor.

On the other hand the staff are lovely. They are pleasant, helpful and friendly without being all over you all the time.

AND ON TO THE FOOD

The first time I went my daughter ordered the poppadoms and dips but we found we were too full so the second time we skipped straight to the starters and enjoyed a Nepalese beer while we waited.

Our starters that we chose were:
Battered squid, lamb momos, samosas and garlic prawns which we shared between the four of us. If they had had other momos and more Nepalese things we would have chosen them but chicken wings and kebabs are not for us really.

The main courses we chose were; fish masala, Nepalese chicken curry, chicken and apple curry or shwou and saag paneer and dahl. We chose coconut rice, peshwari naan and garlic naan to go with our food.

The momos were our favourite, the squid batter was yummy, very curry aromatic spicy and the samosas also really tasty. The garlic prawns were less good and we wouldn’t order them again.

The main dishes were all great. The chicken shwou ( apple) curry is absolutely delicious. I was sceptical but my daughter recommended it the first visit and I agreed it was good and persuaded my husband to go for it and he agreed it was the most delicious and unusual dish he has tried in a long while.

The fish masala was also very tasty and not too strongly fishy, spicy enough to be tasty ut not so much that it blew your head off.

The Nepalese chicken curry was also really different with fresh spring onions and a creamy yet quite spicy sauce.

The saag paneer and dahl we ordered as we wanted some veggie dishes and they were meant to be side dishes but when they came they were pretty large portions. Both were tasty but more similar to Indian curries of the same name.

The coconut rice was really good as they toasted strips of coconut before adding them to the rice and it gave a lovely crunchy texture as well as flavour to the rice.

Both naan s were light and fluffy and tasty as well.

Now we didn’t manage to finish all that so asked for a doggie bag. The lovely man packed it all up in containers and popped it all into a paper carrier bag. My daughter was cooking for 8 people the next night so we brought It home and had it for our meal the next evening and had more than enough. So the food actually fed six adults with good appetites!

The food is all freshly cooked as your order it and it tastes like that too. Everything is cooked fresh from scratch and they use NO additives, NO colourings, NO excess oils and fats and NO MSG. You could tll that these were not full of oils as when they were cold they was not layer of oil sitting on the top.

PAYING

They do accept credit cards but not American Express. Our bill including around 6 large beers came to £115 which is not a bad price for London. The evening before we spent £125 in a Vietnamese restaurant for the same number of people in Crouch End which was also good just to give you an idea of prices in London.

ANYTHING ELSE?

They have a “BEAT THE CLOCK”: Every day if you vacate your table by 8pm then you pay £10 for your main and rice. (king prawns, cutlet, whole tandoori chicken add £3)
10% OFF if you collect your take-away

COMPLIMENTARY Popodums and pickles with all orders over £12 now I am not sure if that is or take away or eat in as when we did have these with our meal I didn’t pay!

RECOMMENDED?

Yes indeed we would recommend this restaurant. The staff are delightful, the atmosphere is pleasant and welcoming. The food is absolutely delicious and the shwou curry one of the nicest and most original curries we have ever tasted.

I know we will be heading this way again as we all loved the meal and there was so much food too.

Sorry but I had no camera or phone and so have no photos. Maybe next time!!

Thanks for reading.