Review of "The Hallow (DVD)"

published 18/05/2017 | kiss_me2070
Member since : 11/02/2004
A huge thanks for all the reads, rates and comments. It's much appreciated :)
Pro easy to watch/follow, not a bad storyline, reasonable acting
Cons its definitely not the best horror film I have seen
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"Nature Has A Dark Side."

The Hallow

The Hallow

About
= = =
I watched this film last weekend as it was on my Amazon list and they sent it to me last week to watch. I have to admit that I didn’t really have high hopes for this film, but having said that I have had that feeling about some films before that have then turned out to be good. The Hallow (originally titled The Woods) is a 2015 British-Irish horror film directed by Corin Hardy, written by Hardy and Felipe Marino, and starring Joseph Mawle, Bojana Novakovic, Michael McElhatton, and Michael Smiley. This film is a British-Irish co-production filmed in Ireland. Adam is a British conservationist specializing in plant and fungal life. Adam, his wife and their newly born baby son, Finn travel to a remote Irish village surrounded by a large forest where they soon find themselves in a fight for survival with demonic creatures living in the woods.

Cast
= = =
I have chosen to list the main characters/cast rather than list every single person in the film.

• Adam played by Joseph Mawle
• Clare – Bojana Novakovic
• Colm Donnelly – Michael McElhatton
• Garda Davey – Michael Smiley

= = = =
The Film
= = = =
The film starts off with Adam walking through the forest with his son (Finn) on his back. Adam is surveying the woodland. He comes across an abandoned house where he finds the carcass of some animal. The animal is a horrible state and it’s burst open. Now most people would probably walk away and ignore the carcass but there is a fungal like substance coming from the carcass so Adam takes a sample back home with him so he can take a closer look at it under the microscope. It’s obvious that Adam is very much into his work and it intrigued and curious about the sample. We meet Clare shortly into the film where we see her taking metal bars off of the windows. Now personally I think if metal bars are across a window then they are obviously there for a reason, how-ever she thinks they look ghastly so is removing them all to make the place more like a home. At this point in the film we have no idea why metal bars were on the windows but you can only assume it was for some sort of protection.

It's at this point in the film that we first meet Colm as well who has come to speak to Adam but Clare informs Colm that her husband is not there. Colm comes across as though he could be a little mean and as though he is possibly hiding something. On the same night as Adam and Clare move into the house something strange happens and this is the first bit of excitement in the film that starts to make you wonder what is going on and why it is happening. Clare and Adam hear from the local Police that come to visit about the legend of the surrounding forest, although Adam and Clare don’t believe him so continue as normal, although keeping an eye out for strange people that may be hanging around.

During the rest of the film there are various scenes of Adam going out to the local village and something happening to his car on the way home, meaning that he has to abandon it. I am not going to reveal what happens exactly as I don’t want to spoilt it for people whom haven’t yet seen the film. Adam does finally make it home with little Finn, but things don’t stop there. Soon even more strange things start happening whilst Adam and Clare are at home and they start fearing for their safety and for the safety of their son. After debating about it Clare and Adam decide to leave the house, but will they escape from whatever it is that is haunting or hunting them or will they be hunted down?

Characters
= = = = =
The main characters in the film are Adam and Clare and we only see Holm a couple of times in the film for very short periods. I think Joseph and Bojana play their parts very well and as they play their parts they come across very convincing. Adam is probably the main character, especially as things start happening to him more so in the film that it does his wife and their baby son.

= = = = = = =
Special Effects
= = = = = = =
There are some special effects in the film, some of these which some people may find slightly gory but I personally didn’t feel as though they were that bad.

= = = = = = = =
Overall Opinion
= = = = = = = =
I have to admit that although I didn’t really have high hopes of this film, neither me or my boyfriend thought it was that bad. It actually held both of our attention throughout the film and my boyfriend didn’t fall asleep, which is normally a good sign! I like that the film starts off with us learning a bit about Adam and his line of work and the fact that we know nearly from the start of the film that there is a legend about something in the woods, although this isn’t really revealed until the middle of the film where we learn and see a little more. I didn’t think the acting in the film was too bad. It certainly wasn’t awful anyway and the film was definitely watchable. Although this film is classed as a horror I wouldn’t have personally said that it’s gory or bloody in anyway. I liked that with this film, I didn’t really know how it was going to end which is good as I don’t like it when films have a really predictable ending. Overall this is definitely a watchable film that’s fairly easy to watch.

Reception
= = = = =
• Rotten Tomatoes, reports that 71% of 51 surveyed critics gave the film a positive review; the average rating is 6.2/10.
• The film has a score of 65/100 on Metacritic based on 12 reviews.
• Fred Topel of Bloody Disgusting rated it 4/5 stars and called for sequels to revisit the film's mythology, which he praised.

= = = = = = = = =
Other Information
= = = = = = = = =
Director: Corin Hardy
Running Time: 1hr 37mins
Genre: Horror
Released: 13th November 2015 (UK)
Certificate: 15