The Inbetweeners Movie (DVD)

The Inbetweeners Movie (DVD)

Review of "The Inbetweeners Movie (DVD)"

published 13/12/2011 | Drewster-Rooster
Member since : 25/03/2010
Wondering if it's safe to come back.......It's been a long time.....
Pro Funny, Crude, Great Characters, Great Setting, A Good Laugh
Cons None really
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"Join the lads on Patrol..."

The lads on Patrol

Certificate: 15

IMDB:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1716772/

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5FshCIq7b4
Introduction

I've been a big fan of the Inbetweeners since the first series of the show aired on TV and enjoyed following the exploits of Will, Simon, Jay and Neil as they coped with life as teenage boys whilst battling their raging hormones and complicated school and home lives but had mixed feelings when a follow-up feature film was announced. Some shows are better off on the small screen I think, the inbetweeners worked well as a 30 minute comedy programme on E4 so I wondered how the humour and interraction between the 4 friends would translate to a 90 minute film. The last time I remember a comedy TV show having a feature film made from it was the dreadful "Kevin and Perry go Large" with Harry Enfield and Kathy Burke and I hoped that The Inbetweeners wouldn't suffer the same fate of not transferring well to the big screen, there was only one way to find out though so I pre-ordered my copy of the DVD and it was delivered to me on Saturday, 2 days before it's official release date. Should it have stayed on TV or does it work as a film? this is what I thought of the film.

Plot

Celebrating the end of school Will, Jay, Simon and Neil decide to plan their very first lads holiday abroad, they decide on Malia and we follow their exploits as they embark on 2 weeks of drinking, chatting up girls, and getting into sticky situations. Anyone familiar with the show will know that the hapless foursome never quite get things right so it should come as no surprise that even in Malia there are disasters waiting to happen. Simon is pining for Carli who has just dumped him, Neil tries to remain faithful to his girlfriend back home whilst Jay is as cocky and as boasting as ever. Will, as usual feels like a fish out of water but things might be on the up when on the first night they get chatting to a group of 4 girls. Could things be on track for a holiday the lads will never forget? You'll have to find out for yourself...
Thoughts

As mentioned in my introduction for this review I didn't have massive expectations for this film despite wanting to really like it, I'd been disappointed before by other TV to film adaptations but thankfully it only took a few minutes for me to realise that The Inbetweeners could indeed be just as funny as a film as it was on TV. What helps is the straightfoward plot, a lads holiday is ripe for picking outrageous situations from and the writers here exploit as much as they can from real life experiences. It's a film that a lot of people can identify with, we've all been at that awkward age - especially boys where you think you know everything and are ruled by your hormones and the writers excel in putting the lads in situations that are as funny as they are cringe-worthy.

It probably helps to already know the characters from the TV show although this isn't essential as their personalities are soon established, they haven't changed at all in the film and by picking up their story from where series 3 ended means that nothing has really changed for them. The film feels like a natural continuation for them, a holiday abroad without parents and with a group of friends is something a lot of us have done and anyone who has will be able to find similarities between their experiences and what the lads get up to in this film.

The script is funny, there are many laugh out loud moments especially from Jay who is as crude as ever, he describes the chances of them pulling girls as "shooting clunge in a barrel" which should give you an idea of the humour involved in the film and overall you pretty much get exactly what you would expect from the film if you already know the characters. It's not ground-breaking, it's nothing new but it is funny and the films 127 minute running time passes by quickly with many highlights and plenty of laughs. I enjoyed it more than I expected to and as far as I'm concerned this should be essential viewing for any fans of the TV series. All of the characters seem to have equal time on screen so if you have a favourite you shouldn't be disappointed and for me it felt very familiar and was just like an extended episode of the TV show. There's little to criticise as far as I can see, I do think you need to be a fan of the show to appreciate the humour and I suppose it could be accused of being quite a "safe" film, the characters don't really deviate from the personalities we already know them for but that's the appeal of the show in the first place and why it was so successful and funny.

A comedy film should make you laugh and this one does so job done as far as I'm concerned, The Inbetweeners was better than I was expecting and gets the thumbs up from me.
DVD details

The DVD release of the film is presented across 2 discs with over 2 hours of unseen material included. There are bags of special features on the second disc which I watched and enjoyed and these include a 'Making of' feature which follows the lads on set and on location. A special feature follows Joe Thomas who plays Simon as he prepares for some of the stunts he performs in the film and there are deleted scenes and bloopers which are quite funny to see. I don't usually watch the extras on a DVD release but as I enjoyed the film and I do like the characters I gave this a watch and it is a very nice addition to the DVD release. There are subtitles if you need them and the film itself has been transferred to DVD without any loss of picture or sound quality. All in all it's an excellent release from Film 4 and extras fans will get plenty for their money if they choose to buy the film.

Rating

For a comedy which produces plenty of laughs there's little to complain about with The Inbetweeners and I thoroughly enjoyed it. it's not quite a five star film, it was a bit obvious in places but it is undeniably funny so as far as I'm concerned it gets 4 stars along with a recommendation that you give it a go. Available online and instore at all the usual places, I paid £8.99 for my copy of the DVD as a pre-order but prices seem to be around that figure, for less than a tenner I think the film is a steal especially for all the additional content on the bonus second disc and overall think that this is one to definitely buy.

Thanks for reading my review.

• Bollinger28 published 17/12/2011
    I found the TV series funnier than the film, but it was still a most entertaining couple of hours at the cinema :o)
  • rosebud2001 published 16/12/2011
    My sister has bought this and I must admit I quite fancy watching it so I will have to pinch it!
  • frankiecesca published 15/12/2011
    *worth* sorry!

offers "The Inbetweeners Movie (DVD)"

Product Information : The Inbetweeners Movie (DVD)

Will, Simon, Jay and Neil attempt to 'ave it large' in Malia in the movie follow-up to the phenomenally successful E4 comedy THE INBETWEENERS. With school over and the imminent future set to see the lads go their separate ways, the gang head to Spain for a lad's holiday of booze, beaches, and babes.

Classification: 15 years and over

DVD Region: DVD

Production Year: 2011

Main Language: English

Video Category: Feature Film

Colour: Colour

Country Of Origin: United Kingdom

Genre: Comedy

Consumer Advice: Contains strong language, twice very strong, and strong sex references

Official Website: http://www.film4.com/minisite/the-inbetweeners-movie

Professional Reviews

Review: It has two different gag ratios - the laughter one, and the urge-to-spew one. Both are high. (Daily Telegraph, 2011-11-21)<br><br>[...] this is gag-for-gag the funniest film of the summer and a fitting end to a much-loved series. So long boys, it's been great to know you. (Empire, 2011-11-21)<br><br>He's got a briefcase, a superhot mom, and three new buddies in social purgatory. Definite cult-show potential. (Entertainment Weekly, 2011-11-01)<br><br>Enjoyable, frequently hilarious teen comedy that sticks closely to the winning formula of the TV show and delivers crude sight gags, witty lines and strong, likeable characters, thanks to enjoyable comic performances from the four leads. (ViewLondon, 2011-11-21)<br><br>

Release Details

DVD Region: DVD

Studio(s): 4DVD; SPIRIT ENTERTAINMENT; TECHNICOLOR DISTRIBUTION SERVICES, ENTERTAINMENT, 4DVD; TECHNICOLOR DISTRIBUTION SERVICES; SPIRIT ENTERTAINMENT

Screenwriter: Damon Beesley, Iain Morris

Languages

Main Language: English

Subtitle Language: English

Technical Information

Sound: Dolby Digital Stereo, 2.0 Surround

Special Features: Making The INBETWEENERS MOVIE: Featurette, 'Joe Thomas - Dangerman', 'Things We Did Instead Of Rehearsing', Premiere Featurettes, Video Diaries, Deleted Scenes, Bloopers Reel, Sims Parody

Listed on Ciao since: 19/08/2011