The Inbetweeners Movie (DVD)

The Inbetweeners Movie (DVD)

Review of "The Inbetweeners Movie (DVD)"

published 16/01/2012 | louisechackett
Member since : 05/08/2006
OH MY GOD! Matt Cardle is now following me on Twitter! Watch this space ;)
Pro Really funny, fits well with the series
Cons none for me
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"The Inbetweeners movie"

I am a massive fan of the inbetweeners and so I was pretty excited when I heard they were doing a movie. I actually managed to see the film at the cinema just before they stopped showing it as I had been unable to go when it was first released as originally planned as I was on crutches. I was delighted when my Mum bought me the DVD of the film this Christmas.

Brief outline of the film

Will, Simon, Neil and Jay are four boys who aren’t exactly popular but they are not the most unpopular in sixth form either! They have just finished sixth form and Simon is suffering from a broken heart after being dumped by his long term crush Carli and so being that the boys have no luck with girls at home they book a holiday to Malia with high hopes of sun, booze, sex and well…..more sex!

My opinion

As much as I love the inbetweeners a part of me wondered if a movie may be a bit much considering the episodes in the series are around thirty minutes long. My concerns were quickly blown away though as I found the film hilarious!

What I particularly like about the film was that Simon Bird, Joe Thomas, James Buckley and Blake Harrison were able to show the characteristics of their characters in quite a magnified over the top way as it was a feature length film. As such we see Will being a total geek prone to the odd inappropriate rant but who is lovable none the less, Simon being so in love with Carli he fails to see a good opportunity in front of his eyes, Jay making up even more ridiculous stories up and Neil have a fake tanned face and palms all the way through the film due to a mishap with his sisters tan! All of the main characters really do have something lovable about them and I suppose they remind you of people you know which makes them even more endearing.

A hilarious part of the film for me personally is that on the coach trip to their hotel the lads are stuck on a coach with a load of Burnley football fans chanting away and generally being loud which prompts will to say “I like football but not Burnley. Burnley can **** off!” As a Blackburn Rovers fan whose rivals are Burnley this is a great moment! There are lots of literal laugh out loud moments throughout the film though and this is why I love it so much as it is light hearted and takes you away from the day to day stresses I think. Particular moments to look out for include a fight between Simon and Jay during which Will and Neil just look on rather concerned. The expressions on their faces have me in stitches every time and when Will suggests perhaps they should do something and Neil replies yeah let’s go to Subway is just classic. Another funny moment is where Jay tries to impress some girls but ends up having issues with a young boy with hilarious consequences!

Without a shadow of a doubt my favourite part of this film is a dance scene involving the lads. It has me roaring with laughter each time I see it and my sister tells me that many people replicate the dance on nights out! Something I would most definitely do!

The main actors in the film do a brilliant job of portraying the events of a typical boys holiday which even starts with the clichéd matching t shirts and also includes binge drinking, pranks and lots of trying to pull girls. Of course the bulk of the film is focussed on the four actors who play Will, Simon, Jay and Neil but I do think that the supporting case fit in well with the theme of the story and in particular none of the girls in the group the boys meet are so attractive that you would find it hard to believe they would spend time with them.

If you are looking for a film which is going to make you laugh then I totally recommend the inbetweeners. A word of caution would be that as a 15 rating it does have sexual references and swearing by the bucket load as well as brief elements of nudity and so if you are likely to be offended by this then I would steer well clear of the film.

Bonus features

It is very rare that I bother with bonus features on a DVD because I have found them to be a waste of time in the past but this DVD actually includes over two hours of unseen material including the making of the film, deleted scenes and bloopers amongst other things and so I was keen to watch them.

I did like watching the blooper section but during some of them the actors look quite annoyed that something has gone wrong and I did expect more messing about to be honest! There is some really funny moments though and they are worth watching. I actually love how seriously Joe Thomas who plays Simon seems to take it and he actually seems like Simon!

The deleted scenes are worth a watch too as there are quite a few and you can form opinions or whether they were better off left out of the movie! There is a section explaining why Will has a pink suitcase which I enjoyed seeing!

There is also a section on things the cast did instead of rehearsing which is pretty funny to watch and shows the cast up to some typically boyish games most of which I can imagine my brother and his mates doing which amused me and I am glad I watched this bit as it showed them in a really funny light.

Price and availability

You can purchase the DVD from amazon where it will cost £9.99 which includes free super saver delivery.

Thank you for reading my review!

• kiss_me2070 published 17/01/2012
    Good review, I have heard so much about this movie. Think I'll have to give this a go.
  • chrisandmark_is_here published 16/01/2012
    Really looking forward to seeing this, looks a right laugh! x
  • ithoughtyoudneverask published 16/01/2012
    I think this would be a bit crude for me! Well reviewed.

offers "The Inbetweeners Movie (DVD)"

Product Information : The Inbetweeners Movie (DVD)

Will, Simon, Jay and Neil attempt to 'ave it large' in Malia in the movie follow-up to the phenomenally successful E4 comedy THE INBETWEENERS. With school over and the imminent future set to see the lads go their separate ways, the gang head to Spain for a lad's holiday of booze, beaches, and babes.

Classification: 15 years and over

DVD Region: DVD

Production Year: 2011

Main Language: English

Video Category: Feature Film

Colour: Colour

Country Of Origin: United Kingdom

Genre: Comedy

Consumer Advice: Contains strong language, twice very strong, and strong sex references

Official Website: http://www.film4.com/minisite/the-inbetweeners-movie

Professional Reviews

Review: It has two different gag ratios - the laughter one, and the urge-to-spew one. Both are high. (Daily Telegraph, 2011-11-21)<br><br>[...] this is gag-for-gag the funniest film of the summer and a fitting end to a much-loved series. So long boys, it's been great to know you. (Empire, 2011-11-21)<br><br>He's got a briefcase, a superhot mom, and three new buddies in social purgatory. Definite cult-show potential. (Entertainment Weekly, 2011-11-01)<br><br>Enjoyable, frequently hilarious teen comedy that sticks closely to the winning formula of the TV show and delivers crude sight gags, witty lines and strong, likeable characters, thanks to enjoyable comic performances from the four leads. (ViewLondon, 2011-11-21)<br><br>

Release Details

DVD Region: DVD

Studio(s): 4DVD; SPIRIT ENTERTAINMENT; TECHNICOLOR DISTRIBUTION SERVICES, ENTERTAINMENT, 4DVD; TECHNICOLOR DISTRIBUTION SERVICES; SPIRIT ENTERTAINMENT

Screenwriter: Damon Beesley, Iain Morris

Languages

Main Language: English

Subtitle Language: English

Technical Information

Sound: Dolby Digital Stereo, 2.0 Surround

Special Features: Making The INBETWEENERS MOVIE: Featurette, 'Joe Thomas - Dangerman', 'Things We Did Instead Of Rehearsing', Premiere Featurettes, Video Diaries, Deleted Scenes, Bloopers Reel, Sims Parody

Listed on Ciao since: 19/08/2011