Review of "The Jungle Book (2016) (DVD)"

published 13/05/2017 | kathriny
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"really Disney live action remaking film"

So after some pretty big live action remakes with Alice in Wonderland, Maleficent, and Cinderella, it was only a matter of time before the Jungle Book got one.

This movie is also kicking off a whole bunch of other Disney live action makes, a lot of which don’t make a lot of sense. But regardless, we’re here now with Jon Favreau taking on this Disney classic. I love the original Jungle Book movie. I love the characters, I love the animation, the music is catchy as hell,I love that movie. Sure it’s pretty thin on plot, but for kid’s movie from the 60s,it’s pretty great. And Jon Favreau has made a lot of great things. Things that are so great that I’m willing to let a few misfires slide. So overall, this has a lot of things going for it. And does it succeed? Yeah. It absolutely does.

Firstly, in case you don’t know, this film was filmed entirely on a soundstage. The only real thing you’re seeing is Mowgli, everything else is computer generated. And this film absolutely pulls that off. Not once did I feel like I wasn’t looking at a real jungle or real animals. And that is just an amazing feat in movie making, the visuals in this movie are just stunning. As far as the cast goes, it’s completely stacked. Firstly, props to Neel Sethi as Mowgli. He did a really great job, especially for an actor who is acting against literally nothing but a puppet on a blue screen. And the voice cast in this is fantastic. Bill Murray is perfectly cast as Baloo, Ben Kingsley is great as Bagheera, Idris Elba is amazing as Shere Khan. Very menacing, very intimidating, just a great voice performance. And the rest of this extended cast is just great. Christopher Walken, Lupita NYong'o, Scarlett Johansson, Gus Fring is in this movie briefly, and he’s great in it too. Overall, this film has some of the best casting I’ve seen in awhile.

Another person I have to give a lot of credit too is Jon Favreau. Favreau is a great director and he absolutely killed it with this. The movie looks fantastic, besides just the great CGI, the cinematography and the way the movie’s shot is just really impressive. There’s a lot of great action here, very exciting, very tense. The two scenes that really stick out to me are the King Louie chase and that final fight with Shere Khan, both of which are great. Especially that King Louie segment, I just really enjoyed that. Plus they kind of made King Louie look like a monkey version of Christopher Walken, so again, props to the visual effects team. I’d also like to touch on the music here.The music is really good, not only just the regular score, but when they bring in epic orchestral score versions of the classic Jungle Book songs when those characters are on, that stuff was fantastic. Like the version of Bear Necessities from the trailer, which is just one example of a couple. And also, hearing Bill Murray singing Bear Necessities and Christopher Walken singing I Wanna Be Like You was just a lot of fun. Speaking of which, this movie manages to be a pay homage and respect to that original movie while also doing something a bit different. There are a lot of plot elements that are carried over but then some things were changed a bit. So the story wasn’t changed as much as in Maleficent, but it was changed more than in Cinderella, it was a perfect mix.It played on a bit of nostalgia while also adding something new.

As far as things I didn’t like, these are very minor things. Kaa is good in the movie,but I didn’t feel like she did that much.There are also a couple of illogical character moments, like moments where characters did stuff that they would never really do. There’s only one main one and it was also carried over from the cartoon, so it’s not that big of a deal.Also, this isn’t really a complaint, but just a thing to note, while I think everyone of any age can enjoy the original Jungle Book from kids who are 2 years old, this is for a tad bit of an older audience. I mean, kids can still enjoy this, but not the very small children. There are a couple of moments that I think would terrify very young viewers, so if you’re a parent, just be warned of that.

Overall, I love this movie. I think this is a great adventure film on it’s own while, also being a great remake of a classic. Pretty much everyone can find something to enjoy in this movie, it’s just a really entertaining, really enjoyable ride. I like this movie the more and more I think about it.

• kiss_me2070 published 15/05/2017
    Nicely review, welcome to ciao.
  • euphie published 14/05/2017
    vh :o)
  • LiveMusicLoverLyn published 14/05/2017
    A good start, welcome....