The Kitchen Gardener - Alan Titchmarsh

Review of "The Kitchen Gardener - Alan Titchmarsh"

published 19/05/2017 | mumsymary
Member since : 23/09/2002
Back home again after a couple of weeks in the Pyrenees
Pro good book
Cons none
Quality of photos
Quality of text
Useful

"Grdening for the kitchen with Alan Titchmarsh"

The Kitchen Gardener - Alan Titchmarsh

Today I shall be reviewing the book, Alan Titchmarsh, The Kitchen Gardener: Grow Your Own Fruit and Veg. This is a BBC book, a hardcover first published in 2008.
Alan Titchmarsh is a well known professional gardener and gardening journalist, as well as a TV gardening presenter.

I am quite a keen gardner. Having been brought up in a family who enjoyed gardening and grandparents who were professional gardeners I was helping to grow veg from an early age,
I like to garden organically; a lot of my garden grows plants to attract Butterflies.
My Vegetable /kitchen garden is small, occasionally at the beginning of the gardening year I take out gardening books from the library- I like to peruse gardening books planning and dreaming my garden will be amazing this year.
This book, the kitchen gardener is one I took out fairly recently.

.lllllllll The book
This book has 132 pages, 10 chapters.
l. The ground rules
ll. The Directory
lll. Introduction
llll.Vegetables.
lllll. Fruit
llllll.Herbs
lllllll Where to see great fruit and veg gardens
llllllll. Suppliers and Specialists
lllllllll Index
llllllllll. Acknowledgements/Picture Credits

I found this book fairly easy to read the print was quite large. The ideas and instructions well written.

I liked the working calendar it reminds me of gardening jobs or seed planting I need to do each month.

The range of fruit and vegetables and herbs with instructions for growing covered all of the ones that I need.

Each vegetable /fruit has a little about it. Then How to grow, Varieties, harvesting, problems, storage and a few recipes. This is all comprehensively written.

There are a few full page pictures and a scattering of smaller ones. Unfortunately the pictures did not have information on or under them so for example on tyhe onion page 54 pictures of onions but I don't know which one is the red sun or the Griselle? Ahh just noted that some of the pictures have a number code.

My opinion is that this is a good book and would be suitable for any gardener with or without experience.
Yes I would recommend.

lllllllPrice

£20 at http://www.expressbookshop.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p28812.htm
£20 at http://www.rhsshop.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?id=10000109&itemno=9781846072017
£19.99 at

• siberian-queen published 05/06/2017
    vh
  • Nymphypig published 25/05/2017
    vh
  • kiss_me2070 published 22/05/2017
    Nice review.

Product Information : The Kitchen Gardener - Alan Titchmarsh

Book Type: Hard Back Book Number of Pages: 312 Author: Alan Titchmarsh Alan's comprehensive guide will tell you everything you could possibly want or need to know about fruit and veg and how to grow it, including herbs, baby veg, salads, every-day fruits plus gourmet or unusual varieties, and how to fit them into today's stylish small gardens.

Author: Alan Titchmarsh