Review of "The Knot (DVD)"

published 02/03/2017 | arwyn3
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"The Knot is not to be recommended"

The Knot (DVD)

This is not really my sort of viewing, but it was a Birthday present my wife received and I sat down to watch it with her a few nights ago.
So, I shall give my opinion – as a humble man – of what I thought!!

The Knot is a 2012 British ‘comedy’ film about a wedding – and the shenanigans leading up to the wedding, that stars Matthew McNulty, and Talulah Riley as the happy couple.

Alexandra and Jeremy are getting married; the film starts with the morning of the wedding as both hens and stags are getting over their respective parties. The viewer then has to endure, I mean watch, the events of the big day, from them falling out of bed up to their wedding ceremony – hopefully. To get to the end of the film and find out if the couple do actually tie the knot, we have to witness various rather forced mishaps including torn suits, lost ring, tummy troubles and a missing bridesmaid.

As you would guess from this synopsis, the story-line of ‘The Knot’ has nothing new, it all sounds like something we’ve seen before – and to be honest – it is. The only saving grace for me was that at least the accents coming out of the mixture of young actors/actresses was British and not American!

For me this film was just too clichéd; the men (including producer and co-writer Noel Clarke as the best man Peter) spend the whole time either making objectionable sexist jokes or acting in ways that fall far below the necessities of basic human decency. I WAS young once, and I did have a good time and a laugh, but I never acted in the way these young men acted and I would be disgusted if my son acted this way. I do get a little tired of these representations we are so often given of our sex!!
Then we come to the female characters – nothing any better here I’m afraid; these young ‘ladies’ range all the way from sex-obsessed sirens to malice-filled bitches.
Age is no barrier to the behaviour of the wedding party either as even the bride and groom’s parents behave like spoilt children with no regard for their children’s happiness.

That then is the cast, the groundwork for the film, maybe the script will help drag this film up out of the gutter.
However, what we get is with a seemingly endless stream of people behaving in a completely un believably stupid manner, some very adolescent toilet gags, homophobia, sexism and even some casual racism thrown in for good measure.

All I can think is that I am getting old or losing my sense of humour (of which I was always quite proud!) but I did not find this ‘comedy’ funny at all, there may have been a few mini-chuckles – well once or twice but it was a very difficult film for me to enjoy (and one of those chuckles was when he farted in his sleep – that is how low the comedy standard was!). The film, with its poor script and uncharismatic characters and poor acting just felt as if it was completely forced – it was more like a home video gone wrong or a bunch of kids gone mad on Snapchat.

And, I may add, this isn’t just the opinion of an aging man – my wife was also very disappointed; We had sat down after a rather horrid day, hoping for a laugh and to be entertained – we spent he (mercifully short) length of the film with our fingers hovering over the stop button. The only reason we watched it to the end was that my wife was worried “Our Margaret might be upset!” (‘Our Margaret’ being the person to blame for us watching it – she bought it!!)
The tagline on the DVD cover claimed that “It will make you laugh until you cry” and the description tells you that it “is the perfect blend of British romantic comedy at its best”
Lies, I tell you all lies!!!!
Some bits I suppose I should share

FILM RELEASED: 2012, Cert. 15
DVD RELEASED: 4 Feb. 2013
RUNNING TIME: 92 minutes
DIRECTOR: Jesse Lawrence
PRODUCER: Noel Clarke
WRITERS: Geoff Carino, Noel Clarke and Davie Fairbanks
MUSIC: Adam Lewis
MAIN CAST:- Matthew McNulty, Talulah Riley, Noel Clarke, Mena Suvari, Jason Maza
CERTIFICATION: 15

As of 2/3/17 ‘The Knot can be purchased from Amazon as follows: -
New: from £1.67
Used: from £14p
Free on Amazon Instant Video
In Conclusion

This is not a film that I could recommend watching – I found it immature, predictable and a waste oif 92 minutes of my life.

• rolandrat123 published 23/04/2017
    oh dear
  • IzzyS published 22/04/2017
    I'll knot bother with this then, as you say. I tend to steer clear of these sort of films anyway - weddings have never interested me at all.
  • CelticSoulSister published 17/04/2017