The overall rating of a review is different from a simple average of all individual ratings.
Share this review on
In my opinion the greatest strength of this game lies in the skirmish mode. Here you can create the battles that you dreamed of while watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy, with inticate and exciting base building and area based resource gathering , these battles can be vast engagements between whatever armies and races you choose and are often extremely enjoyable and thoroughly replayable. However, the story line is also enjoyable (even if it does take liberties plot-wise) and provides an interesting insight into the war in the North that is so often ignored by the films and unexplored in the book trilogy.
Features that are new include:
- custom base building as opposed to the more rigid system in Battle for Middle Earth 1
- customisable heroes (including powers and spells to use on the battle field)
- new races including Elves, Dwarves and Goblins
- capturable buildings that provide bonuses
- new palantir ablilities
- war of the ring mode that acts as a turn based campaign mode where you control a faction as it storms across Middle Earth fighting skirmishes as it does so
- larger/more units
Overall I feel that this game is fantastic, with excellent graphics, playablity and re-playablilty. Although this game comes highly recommended from me, I would love to be able to mod to remove some of the more glaring mistakes that EA (as flippin usual) made/could not be bothered to iron out.
But yeah, a great game - one of my favourites anyway.