Mojoly 4

Mojoly

Member since:20.01.2003

"A world without magic would be sad indeed"

18.07.2003

Advantages:
It's magic

Disadvantages:
Or poppycock?

Degree of Information

How interesting was the book?

How useful was it?

Would you read it again?

How easy was it to read / get information from

12 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. Mipsie
  2. hot-blonde-babe
  3. SkyPhoenix
  1. LostWitness

I own a number of magick related books, and quite a few by Scott Cunninham, so it was quite natural for me to add this to my library. And I am so pleased I did. It is a delightful little book, interesting and, to me, useful.

The sub-title of the book is “Empower Your Home With Love, Protection, Health and Happiness”. It is supposed to retail at USD 9.95, which is about £6 but I picked mine up at the bargain price of £3.99. It is not difficult to get hold of and can be found on Amazon (but on here it is currently selling at £8.99).

This is a book for everyone, not just those who believe in magick, or those who think that maybe they do, or maybe they don’t but might like to dabble. It is not stuffed full of spells with complicated rituals, requiring candles painted sky blue pink with yellow dots on. It is about everyday things that have magickal powers attached to them, but which can also make your home more pleasing. Some of the things you may have (or do) already and I think it is nice to find out that they just might be doing you some good as well.

The book has a Preface explaining why the book was written; an Introduction which reads much like a fairy tale, and a simple Note on Magic. All very useful.

The book is then split down into chapters covering most aspects of homelife, which include the garden, pets and the garage and a nice little section on omens and portents. The layout makes it an excellent book to dip into. There is also a comprehensive index at the back of the book, where you will also find a Glossary of Terms.

The book is basically a compendium with bits of folklore from all over the world, a sprinkling of superstitions and more detailed magickal information for those who would like to take it all that little bit further. I have also found that it has explained why you see certain things in some homes. Whether these things have been put there with purpose or just for decoration, the book often gives the original thought, or reasoning behind them.

To illustrate I can only dip into the book for you:

I learned from my Grandmother to clean my windows with water and vinegar. It does a remarkable job of cleaning them. I learn from the book that vinegar invites the powers of the wind to bless your home. Now, whether you believe it or not, it is still a nice thought.

Another thing my Grandmother did was to keep her poker and tongs crossed on the hearth – this apparently prevents sparks from popping out of the fire, and cancels any negative energy that might float down your chimney.

One of the things I have used from the book was a purification when I moved into my present home. Like most people I decided to give the whole place a good clean before I moved in. I used a lemon infusion from the book, which not only cleansed and left my new home lightly fragranced, but also got rid of any of the houses negativity. And, if you don’t believe in the negativity issue, so what? There’s no whiffy ammonia based product after smell and no smell of Dettol which always makes me think someone has been sick I can’t tell you everything. But you can find out –
  • why hand woven products often have an intentional flaw
  • the magickal influences of different types of wood
  • how to counteract the curse of a broken mirror
  • why you should not sleep with your head pointing south
  • why food is traditionally covered when being carried to the table (not to keep the flies off)
  • the best day to have a bath
  • why wearing lipstick can protect your soul

I could go on, and on, and on…but I think you get my drift.Whether you believe in magick or not, it is interesting and the book is clearly written and well presented.

So I leave you with a rhyme for ridding yourself of tiresome guests:

Get thee hence beyond my door
For I am weary to the core

Or course, you could just throw salt on their shoes :)

Mipsie 29.01.2005 11:50

I'll have to get this, great op xx

hot-blonde-babe 01.11.2003 14:21

I must get this! Good op, thanks!

SkyPhoenix 31.08.2003 04:20

Hi Liked very much your op and the book sounds very interesting. Thank you Sky-p.