Review of "The Midland Hotel, Morecambe"

published 17/07/2017 | beautybuff
Member since : 22/03/2014
hitting publish when you meant save to draft gggrrr ... no way to undo?! pfft.
Pro nice friendly place to stay
Cons none
Cleanliness
Service
Facilities

"Did Poirot enjoy his stay here, I wonder?"

The Midland Hotel, Morecambe

The Midland Hotel, Morecambe

I was away with work for a few nights and happened to end up at the Midland Hotel in Morcambe for two nights. I'd been on the website before the journey and immediately recognised it from the photographs online as I approached driving along the sea front.

Price paid for two nights B&B £150.

The first impressions
My approach was good. First of all I recognised the hotel, standing alone on the horizon it looked impressive, then up to the front wall there were two entries you could drive in to and adequate parking. The roads are quite pedestrianised around the sea front so it's best to go slow or you might knock a distracted tourist over! Once parked, I unloaded my bags and coat and booking information and made my way up the ramp to reception. There were optional steps if you were not wheeling a case or knees not up to it.

Reception
The lobby is spacious and looks out on to the sea via a glass fronted conservatory where the main dining room and breakfast is. There is a sweeping round staircase which is very grand too.

Reception were courteous and welcoming and sorted out my room straight away as it was tea time when I booked in so no quibble over the check in time. I was given hotel information about breakfast times and locations and also offered the opportunity to book in to the restaurant for my evening meal. I was meeting a colleague so declined but was a bit unsure so she told me to ring from my room if I changed my mind but there was no pressure.

I had the option to register a card so I didn't have to use cash which I did as I was there for a few days and also asked if I wanted a newspaper, I knew I would not have time to read one so didn't bother. My room was on the first floor so I was directed to the lift but I used the grand sweeping staircase the rest of the time as it was only one floor.

The room
I did not know what to expect from my room but it contained a few good surprises. I made my way to one end of the hotel, and had an end corner room which I suspect was one of the better rooms in the hotel. I opened the door with the electric key card and found a bit of a surprise with the full sized mirror in a sort of dressing area next to the door. I nearly greeted myself in the mirror as it took me by surprise! The first window was a sea view and looked out to the bay of Morcambe, lovely. Turning the corner in the room there was a large chest of draws and two more windows on the other side with nets and heavy curtains to block out the light if you wished to. The windows were all open and the room was nice and fresh.

In the middle of the room was a huge bed, two doubles pushed together and overall huge with nice bedding and blanket at the base of the bed. A toy dog sat on the bed with some room information and advice that if you took him for a walk you would be charged £15 and some of that went to charity.

Two seats and a table were in the corner and huge wardrobe unit contained a dressing table and chair, light up area with mirror, wardrobe, tea making facilities, small fridge and a large flat screen TV on a bracket that you could angle to the bed or seating area. There was also a nice tree that was also a coat stand that I enjoyed using and would have bought one if they sold them as they make a nice display item for showcasing photos on my reviews elsewhere online! More surprises awaited me after these initial observations...

The next surprise was in the en suite. A hidden entrance at the head of the bed led to an area with sinks and nice shelving and a large shower compartment with ceiling sprinkle head. The shower was easy to operate and adjust and the sink area had a big mirror with shelves. You were provided with lots of large complimentary toiletries that you could also buy from Reception if you liked them enough! Then the mystery of the toilet. The wall moved out to close off the room from the en suite and behind it was the toilet! You could totally miss this if you didn't move the wall and assumed it was in a fixed position. It was a bit strange at first but you soon got used to it and it was not heavy to move as it was on casters.

The facilities
As I stayed there two nights, I did get chance to use the restaurant and bar facilities. The restaurant is quite fancy with a la carte food, although mainly meaty they did offer me a vegan menu when I said I was a vegetarian. The main meals were around £23 though so it is not a cheap option. We decided to use the bar instead which served an array of cocktails and food and also had an outdoor seating area that was very popular. I had a side salad and veggie burger and it was all very nice and the portions enormous, add a couple of drinks to that bill and it was only £22 for the evening so not bad at all.

Breakfast was a most enjoyable experience, fill you boots so to speak as it was included in the price of the stay and you could order food from the menu, tea or coffee and juice was offered and brought to you at the table and cereals, toast, pastries, fruit and yoghurt were all available at a serve yourself section. I had a duck egg poached on a muffin the first day which was a great start to the day and the second day had a full veggie English breakfast that included quorn bacon and sausages, eggs how you like 'em and toast and beans, mushroom and tomato. It was not a huge breakfast but could be bolstered with cereals, toast etc. it was quite adequate.

Checking out
I was sad to leave my room after the two day stay. The bed had been comfy, the only annoyance was an early morning seagull which got me out of bed as I thought I heard a man shouting "help me, help me!" only to find it was a seagull!!! Check out took a couple of minutes as I did have to settle my bill but it was hassle free and all the items I had charged to my room tallied up.

What they say
The Midland Hotel has been beautifully, meticulously, lovingly restored and is an Art Deco-inspired tour de force with 44 modern 30s-inspired rooms, 6 rooftop suites, a top-notch restaurant and ultra-stylish bar.Bedrooms with bath/shower. Wired internet access in all rooms. Wireless internet connection available in public areas. It has been awarded a 4* rating by the AA.

Final observations
The staff were polite, friendly and keen to ensure your stay was just right. They were all ages, respectful and not overly attentive so you felt uncomfortable. I would happily stay there again and would love to take my family there for a short break as I think they would enjoy the hotel and we'd find something to do locally whilst there. The sea front is beautiful and the walkways freshly done, monuments to look at with wildlife and Eric Morecambe to name a few. Nothing seemed to be a problem here, I had no reason to complain. A cracked coffee cup was whisked away with a polite smile and a small apology so I felt well looked after and did not have to wait too long or ask for anything whilst there. I honestly think as a lonely work person I was looked after in this hotel better than anywhere else I've stayed with work. I would travel there on my own happily and I saw there were other people from working age to elderly staying there on their own.

Fun fact
An episode of Poirot was filmed at this hotel!

• mummytobe78 published 22/07/2017