Review of "The Purge (DVD)"

published 17/07/2017 | Sparky43352
Member since : 12/10/2015
Pro great story, good cast
Cons poor soundtrack

Run Time: 1 hr 25 minutes
Genre: Horror
Release Year: 2013

Story

In this setting, the USA, on March 21st, all crime is legal for 12 hours - including murder. A family on lockdown must try to survive the night after they allow a target of purgers into their home and consequently have been broken into and are now fighting for their lives during a brutal home invasion.
Cast

IMDb: 5.7/10
Metacritic: 41%

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0LLaybEuzA

My Opinion

Despite this movies ratings, I watched this movie with no expectations and open minded and I really enjoyed it. I thought the concept was very good and interesting and it was very gripping. It wasn't the best movie I had ever seen but definitely a good horror for beginners who aren't necessarily fond of horrors.

I thought the cast was good as I had seen them previously in Game of Thrones and Sinister so I was looking forward to see how they would bring this concept to life. They performed well in my opinion, especially the purgers who were so convincing in their roles.

The special effects were good. There were some jump scares and very eery moments. The masks are something I enjoy most about the purge movies and they just look so iconic and creepy. I therefore thought they used their special effects well. The soundtrack on the other hand was so unmemorable that I can't even recall if I heard any music throughout the whole film but that may have just been because I was so engrossed in the actual movie itself but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and say it was average.

You can buy this movie for £2 on amazon (including delivery) or on Blu-Ray for £4.09 again from amazon. I'd definitely recommend you buy it or I think it might be on Netflix but I could be mistaken.

The movie is very different from DeMonaco's other movies like Insidious and s therefore very memorable because there have not really been any movies that have followed this concept so it's very fascinating to watch.

Thank you for reading, please rate helpful if this helped you in any way. Any criticism or advice is always appreciated. Thanks again.

• justarube published 18/07/2017